Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 08-20-2004, 05:30 AM   #1
sar

Send a message via AIM to sar
Default 1987 RX7 NA - not run in 10 years
I have been really interested in the rx7 since I read the howstuff works article a bit more than a year ago; this is my first timeon this board. I am a student and don't exactly have a load of cash, but am looking for something sporty to replace my dodge dakota. I found a 1987 rx7 that a guy is selling for $200.

State
The car is not running. Obviousley, sitting has allowed the gas to seperate and likely rubber seals to crack. The car was driven off a road and needs a new bumper cover, and the repaired (non-painted) fenders have rusted again. The car has 106k miles on it and I can assume it was not driven incredibly heavily. The interrior is very nice looking for an 87.

Hopes in starting the engine
As I do not wish to afford an engine rebuild I went ahead and checked the compression as Aaron suggests. I removed one spark plug and was able to hear pstts as the rotor turned; this tells me that it has some compression. When I took out the spark plug it was filled with seperated gasoline (rusty style) from sitting and a previous interested party trying to start the engone without removing the injection fuse.

My plans for getting it to run would be paying the $200.
-Pumping the gas tank.
-mineral spiriting the injectors
-cleaning or replacing plugs
-wd40ing each plug hole and intake

How do these plans sound?

What is the easiest way to get to the spark plugs? I had trouble getting to the plugs at the angle esp with the AC.

Also, in case this does not work what are some normal prices for 4 wheels, a transmission, a core motor?

Old 08-21-2004, 07:49 PM   #2

black rocket
Full Access Member

$200 is ok price for non running rex.

High probability of compression prob. is likely. You can get rebuilt for about $1 - 3K and tranny...stock? Depends.

Good luck and get ready to play in a grease!