Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > General RX-7 Area > How-To's

How-To's Fixing your RX..and need some help. Check out the how-to's here for any help ya need!!

Old 01-17-2011, 02:32 AM   #1
Duneratz00

Default painting my rx7
i want to paint my rx7 white i have a prity good paint gun and i was just wanted to know if any body knows how to paint a car right . iv never painted a car before but i figure id sand the body prime it let it sit for a few days sand the primer , first coat of paint 2nd coat 3rd coat 4th coat . 3 to 4 coats of clear coat . wet sand and buff . will that work
Duneratz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:11 AM   #2

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

I have painted cars before, but I'm definitely not a painter. I'm not sure if we have any painters on this forum. I made sure my work area was clean & I had good ventilation. I used gravity feed guns by suggestion of a few friends. The more coats the deeper the color is going to be, it will pop more. What paint & color were you going to use.

Painting steps:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/b...ing/index.html

Last edited by BoostedFC; 01-18-2011 at 01:16 AM.
BoostedFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:37 AM   #3

black rocket
Full Access Member

I've done body work and painted one of my car once. All I can say is take time on prep and remove as much as you can (lens, trims, windows, etc.)

Just don't get impatient and get it painted too quick. You will be sorry later on. You see the little bit of flaw and it will be magnified in your mind and ends up noticing the flaw that only very few can even notice.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #4

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Taping off shit & removing the trim pieces took a lot of time, but it's worth it in the end. Only thing I wished I had done was pull the motor when I did mine. (car is blue & the bay is black)

Old 01-21-2011, 03:05 AM   #5
Duneratz00

the car is blue and i was going to paint it white. i was going to get the paint at surplus city cos they sell auto paint.and i was going to take off the bumper fenders hood headlight covers doors hatch tail lights and im taking out all the interer exept the senter consil and i was just going to pull up the carpit a littil to paint under there and im going the be puting that rebuilt engine in it any way so im going to paint the engine bay wile i have the engine out .and i was going to make a stensill so i could paint gxl on the fenders
Duneratz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #6

black rocket
Full Access Member

Make sure you get a primer that goes with the paint you're picking up.