Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 1st Generation

1st Generation 1979-1985 Discussion

Old 06-08-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
pistonless

Default Farm fresh
Hey yall, my name is Travis. This is my rx-7. it was sitting at my father in laws for about 3 years. it was driven regularly before that. I have owned it about a year and purchased a new carb (nikki) and fuel pump 1st. well i couldnt get the car to run right so i took it to a mechanic that i was told used to race these cars. Well after it sitting at his shop and him tinkering with it in his free time for 1 year i have taken it back home. I need to know if i should maybe take my carb apart and try to diagnose the problem.. or if i should just get a new intake kit bc i intend to put this car in SCCA eventualy.

mechanic sais its defenetly in the carb and he would charge 400 to rebuild.

My last project is coming to an end and its time to get started on this future beast!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car5.jpg (38.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg car6.jpg (56.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg car4.jpg (70.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg car7.jpg (52.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg car8.jpg (50.8 KB, 2 views)
pistonless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #2

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Well if you trust the mechanic, then move on with his advice & either rebuild the carb or buy a new one. If not you can always get a second opinion. Good luck with your upcoming project.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
pistonless

Cool
alright, ive gotten started. I put my boat battery in the car and stuck it on the charger, put 2 1/2 gals of fresh fuel in the tank (i drained the tank about a week ago). disconnected the fuel line to the carb, and turned on the key. FUEL PUMP DEFINATLY WORKS. i am getting fuel to this point.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd attempt to start car failed with just cranking.

i poured a small bit of gas into the carb and tried again.

4th attempt car fires after cranking, and idles for a few seconds before turning off.

poured a little bit larger amout of fuel into the carb and tried again.

5th attempt, car fires, and idles for a few seconds longer before turning off.

i dont question the integrity of the motor, it sounds like it wants to run.. and run strong. no strange noises, knocking or squeeking.

SO, i think that my issue lies with the "rebuilt" nikki carb that i purchased from ebay. ANY advise on what i should look for if i take this carb apart and attempt a repair would be welcome.

ALSO, i am going to post a picture of my fuel pump in a bit, i would like to know if it should be sufficient to run this motor on a stock carb. The original fuel pump didnt kick on unless u beat it with a hammer, so i purchased a 60 dollar "Mr. Gasket" universal in-line fuel pump and installed it.

Thank you for your future replys.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
pistonless

fuel pump... Mr Gasket 42S, with filter on the end, its also new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel PUmp.jpg (68.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-09-2012, 04:13 AM   #5

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Pump should be fine to use, as for the Nikki look here http://atkinsrotary.com/store/produc...roductid=17197. Contact them they should be able to help you.