Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > General RX-7 Area > FAQ

FAQ If you have any questions about engine work, parts needed, part locations, anything....post it all here in the FAQ section!

Old 06-07-2005, 04:49 AM   #1
cactus_mole

Default the rx-7
Hi all, im new to the forums. I've been looking into the 93-95 rx-7 for a while now (about 1/2 year, but no $$), and im thinking about geting one real soon. I've benn looking on the forum for a while now and i have been geting info about it. All i want to know is the rx-7's engine really that unreliable that u have to rebuild it 80,000 miles? And if u do is there any high proformance rotors out there that can handel big amounts of horses and be reliable? And then the whole thing about the apex seals. On rx-7.com u can get them in 3mm form, is that a good choice or not? Ok well thank you for any other additional info.
Thank you for any answers.
-Nick
cactus_mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:55 AM   #2

black rocket
Full Access Member

Welcome to the forums, Nick.

As to rebuilding rotary is not that far off from rebuilding piston engine, i.e., piston engine's NORMAL rebuild cycle is around 100K, and some even longer. Same as for rotary engines, it's NORMAL cycle of rebuild is about 80K but, there are rotaries with nearly 200K on it and still runs.

As to reliability is concerned it's based upon how well you maintain your engine just like piston engines. It will treat you the way you treat it

Apex seal, 2mm and 3mm...3mm would, obviously, seals tighter and it gives more of snug fit sort of speak and thus, gives chambers with better sealing, in turn, gives more whomp from cycle. However, in a event of seal breakage 3mm has greater chance of damaging housing.

Hope that helps a little.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
RX 7 freak

Nick if you are purchasing a second user RX 7 just check how much it ran so that you will come to know whether to change the rotary or not......
RX 7 freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #4

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Freak look at the last posting date! I don't think Nick will see this or be in need of any help anymore. Also "looking at how much it ran" I'm going to assume you meant mileage which still doesn't tell you how the car was ran.