Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > General RX-7 Area > TECH Support

TECH Support Technical Support for your RX7, Open 24/7/365. Post your problems and see if someone can help!

Old 03-13-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
Duneratz00

Default Aux ports mod
I'm putting an open exhaust on my 88 GXL NA and I modded my ports to run off the air pump, but I cant get them to work right. I put a hose running in to the air pump to ACV hose and sealed it with silicone. That's running to a straight valve. That's hooked up to the vacuum line that hooks up to the port nipple, but when I rev it up the actuators don't move. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to move when there hooked up to the air pump and you rev it up right? I put some grease on the actuator rods and took it down the road then floored it and when I got back the grease was smeared up to the top of the rod. So they're working when I'm driving. The power band moved up slightly, all my power used to start at 3300rpm but now my power hits at like 4000 rpm if pictures would help I could send some with my phone just give me your number. Please help I don't want to have to wire them open, I like my low end torque and that would use more gas. The valve is not dumping the air externally by the way it's all an enclosed system.

Last edited by BoostedFC; 03-20-2011 at 02:05 AM. Reason: hard to read original post.
Duneratz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:04 AM   #2
Duneratz00

Okay they move now when I rev it but once I get past a certain rpm they close. I have no idea why it would do that but my cousin just did this to his rx7 and he angled the hose going in to ACV valve to air pump hose to face the air pump, so the air doesn't go by it and his stays open when he revs it up he, said mine isn't working because when the air pump starts pushing enough air it just starts to go by the hose because mine isn't angled but I don't think that's why. If any one has any idea why it's doing this please tell me.

Last edited by BoostedFC; 03-20-2011 at 02:05 AM. Reason: hard to read original post.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #3

black rocket
Full Access Member

Your ACV is consists of 3 valve functions; 1, relief 2, switching3, anti after burn. When you mention about ACV to air pump hose, if you are having to "angle the hose" you may be manupulating to open relief valve.

Relief valve is actuated by relief solenoid valve (ck valve) you might want to inspect the valve is functioning so that relief valve will open & close.

We all read your post and quite frankly didn't get where you were going with it until your second post.

I hope this will help you out in the cause of your issue.

Let us know how that goes.

FYI, solenoid valve is a check valve which direct air one direction and if its not working ACV will not function. Now, if your solenoid works your troubleshooting should go to ACV.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
Duneratz00

Do you mean that little round thing under the ACV? How do I check one of those?

Last edited by BoostedFC; 03-20-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #5

black rocket
Full Access Member

First you warm up the car, then remove hose @ ACV to air silencer and put thumb over ACV and increase rpm to 2K and see if air start coming.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:20 AM   #6
Duneratz00

Okay I took off the air silencer hose and put my hand in front of it. I didn't have a tachometer or someone to help me but I would say around 2800 it started shooting out air. Would that mean one of my check valves isn't working? If so would it be the one in the split air pipe or under the acv. Also the Haynes manual doesn't explain this system very well is there somewhere online that would explain it better?

Last edited by BoostedFC; 03-20-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:32 AM   #7

black rocket
Full Access Member

That's good. Ck for exhaust leak @ intake mani to cat by pulling hose from back of the mani @ 1500 rpm. If no exhaust ck valve on the mani behind the ACV is OK, if exhaust comes out them ck valves need to be replaced.

Now you get to ck the rest of solenoid valves for proper function.

Got to eliminate probables, you know.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:35 AM   #8
Duneratz00

thanks for the info but i think im going to check all my solanoids. then im probably going to block off my acv sins im not going to have any cats and just connect the air pump right to my aux port setup . so what all do i need to do to block off the acv dont i need to just put a block off plate on it or do i need to do anything else,and sins the acv helps with deceleration will blocking it off make my engine buck when i let off the gas.