Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 3rd Generation

3rd Generation 1993-Current Discussion

Old 06-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
mazdarx77

Default street legal turbo kits
hey, im in the market of buying an 1993 mazda rx7. i was searching for some turbos and it dosent say if its street legal or not. if you guys can find one feel free to post a link thanks.
mazdarx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #2

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

What exactly are you looking for, what are your goals for the car, what will is the primary purpose of the car, what kind of budget are you working with & are you familiar with these cars or cars in general.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
mazdarx77

im looking for a in 1993 red mazda rx7. my goal is to get it to 400 horsepower with it still being street legal. the car is going to be a daily drive. i have 70,000 for an rx7 and the upgrades. no i am not familiar with rx7's and rotary engines but i am ready to learn

thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 05:08 AM   #4

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

You have $70,000 dollars to drop on the car & mods? Honestly you will not need nowhere near that much for a 400hp FD.
Don't forget about the other areas of the car ( ECU, fuel system, suspension, drivetrain ect.)
Here are a few links
http://www.turblown.net/store/index.php?productID=14
http://himni-racing.com/gallery2/mai...g2_itemId=1303
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...bos/Turbo_Kits

Old 06-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
mazdarx77

thanks what else do you think i should get to keep the car from being stressed.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #6

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Okay let me ask this first, How old are you? It says 22 over there under your name & your other thread says you are looking to buy your first car. Earlier were you saying you have $70,000 to work with? Considering you are asking advice on such a purchase & state that your parents don't think it wise, I will say this they are probably right. An FD is a great car & can contiune to be that way if maintained. A little searching through the FAQ section on various rotary forums will help you learn more as well as look through other members build threads.

You speak of being stressed, by modding the car you obviously have in mind driving the car in a spirited manner. This will add stress, there are things you can do make the motor handle more abuse, but stress is not going away.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
mazdarx77

ok my real age is 16, i have 20,000 for a car but i plan on saving for mods.

so what can i do to make the motor handle more abouse?

thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #8

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Honestly an FD is not a good car for a 16 year old, maybe an FC but still.

Look into cooling mods, proper tuning, fuel system mods ect.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
toddah

Returning to your original question, the term street legal has many different answers.
Most states if you can pass emissions testing it is street legal, However passing emission's tests in a modified car can become challenging to say the least.
One of the first mods to gain more horsepower is to remove catalectic converters and factory muffler systems and replace with more free flowing and less restrictive systems. That alone is illegal in many states. Typically when adding aftermarket modifications like turbo or exhaust systems it is required to replace the ECM (Engine Control Module) with an aftermarket ECM that allows a tuner to make required adjustments to the entire fuel mapping rates for the entire RPM range the motor will operate in and doing so will place the car out of a compliance with federal and state clean air guidelines.
Depending on where you live you may or may not be able to pass vehicle inspections with any mods to the motor/fuel delivery/exhaust systems and in other states like where I live we do not have mandatory inspections so unless you get ticketed for some offense we are free to do whatever can get away with because they never look under the hood.
Having owned, raced, street driven and modded rotary's since 1983 I would not most likely advise an FD for a first car, they are like owning a fine Swiss watch. When they work they are awesome but like any thoroughbred they have special needs and require special attention to some areas of operation that generally only come with experience and deep pockets.
Before I get flamed by everyone who is young and owns an FD I LOVE MY FD and it is a great car and I would have killed to own one when I was young but the above statements are just my opinion and just offering some advice to a potential buyer. The advice is based on being the go to guy for rotary's in my area I see many good F cars die an early death at the hands of young, broke drivers trying to get by on a wing and a prayer and the cars suffer neglect due to lack of knowledge, funds or skills.
toddah is offline   Reply With Quote