Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 3rd Generation

3rd Generation 1993-Current Discussion

Old 11-02-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
lookatme

Default Driving a RX7 as a Daily Driver?
I currently own a 99 Honda prelude. I don't have any major complaints with the car...except the tranny is a little unforgiving at stop lights when trying to shift into 1st. I have been looking at two cars, the 93+ rx7, and an E36 M3. My forte' is handling and is why I own one of the best FWD handling cars. Its time for me to step up to a RWD car but am worried about the practicality of the rx7.

Can this car be used as a Daily driver? Does it have enough room to even get groceries? Do you drive it as a daily driver? is it reliable enough?

I will be modifying the engine some if I do buy one...and ultimitely it will be tuned by a professional. Please give me some feedback.

Thanks.
lookatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 06:34 PM   #2
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to AusTexRex
Rx7s are as reliable as their drivers. Don't overheat it, don't remove the undertray without having some sort of funnel to get the radiator it's air, don't abuse it and you'll be fine. My car has 130k miles on it, it's a turbo engine, the turbo is fine, the engine compresses perfectly and I have a minor 2nd gear synchro problem that is dealt with by shifting less forcefully on average driving.
I autocross my car, I drag my car, I abuse it sometimes for fun.

Yesterday I drove 100 miles each way to my home town and to drop my girlfriend off at her house. The only stop was her house, and the gas station. I do this at least once a month, and I make the 100 mile drive about once a week. I also drive it around town.

The cars are perfectly reliable, just take care of it like you should an 18 year old car and don't be an idiot and it's all good.

Change oil, replace exhaust, replace filters, replace hoses, check your wiring and the car is perfectly fine. Hell their usually fine as long as the oil has been change religiously.
AusTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:19 AM   #3
btm7687

Default Re: Driving a RX7 as a Daily Driver?
Originally Posted by lookatme
I currently own a 99 Honda prelude. I don't have any major complaints with the car...except the tranny is a little unforgiving at stop lights when trying to shift into 1st. I have been looking at two cars, the 93+ rx7, and an E36 M3. My forte' is handling and is why I own one of the best FWD handling cars. Its time for me to step up to a RWD car but am worried about the practicality of the rx7.

Can this car be used as a Daily driver? Does it have enough room to even get groceries? Do you drive it as a daily driver? is it reliable enough?

I will be modifying the engine some if I do buy one...and ultimitely it will be tuned by a professional. Please give me some feedback.

Thanks.
Wow,

lookatme, do you remember me from superhonda.com? I got pissed off by everyone there so I asked to be banned so I would have a reason to never come back. I thought you had the name l00katme or something. Anyway, you were one of the people I liked on that forum. But to answer your question, I can't say I know much about the FD's considering I don't own one, but generally you hear that they break down...a lot. But as AusTexRex posted, it will be as reliable as you drive it.

Old 02-13-2005, 12:58 AM   #4
efini_kid

if u drive nicely and like to pay for a lot of gas... its a great daily driver and u get lots of looks as well
efini_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 07:57 AM   #5
Farani

Send a message via AIM to Farani
To be honest, I wouldn't drive my FD as a daily driver and I wouldn't want to drive a largely modified one. Rotary's can be very finicky. There really isn't a lot of room in it either. I mean, it's a sports car. You have a very small *trunk* where the hatch is. Besides that you have to put stuff on the passanger seat. IMO, I'd stay away from FD's as daily drivers. You'll get other people saying it's no problem, I guess it's just preference. Oh, and gas mileage will suck, too.

Farani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 07:35 PM   #6

black rocket
Full Access Member

My FC gets 10 ish mpg with my "normal"driving Same goes for FD...all depends on how you drive it and how you maintain the beast.

As to daily beater...I don't have much room to speak since it's a fair weather w/e and I don't drive it during winter season.

But, I know many out there do drive them as a daily... All depends on proper care, whcih goes for ANY vehicle you drive .

Old 02-23-2005, 03:56 AM   #7
dRuNk-mEdIc
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to dRuNk-mEdIc
The RX7 is a manly sports car. It has only two seats so you dont have much room in back. The trunk is a medium sized as of groceries. The car is not a family van nor a family utility veichle. It has every aspect of a sports car and has wonderful control as well as power. If you do get an RX7 you won't be discouraged.

You can put 20 grand into your honda and its still a honda.

My RX7.....well its an RX7.
dRuNk-mEdIc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:11 PM   #8
JustinStrife

Send a message via AIM to JustinStrife Send a message via MSN to JustinStrife Send a message via Yahoo to JustinStrife
I wouldn't drive it as a daily driver just because of the gas mileage.

My Nissan S14 I plan on keeping the DD and the FD I'll be shopping for next year will be for weekend pleasures. (Handling and style that can't be beaten)
JustinStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:52 AM   #9

black rocket
Full Access Member

Sounds like a plan!

Old 02-27-2005, 02:24 AM   #10
dRuNk-mEdIc
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to dRuNk-mEdIc
What sounds like a plan?

You can put 20 grand into your honda and its still a honda.

My RX7.....well its an RX7.
dRuNk-mEdIc is offline   Reply With Quote