Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > General RX-7 Area > How-To's

How-To's Fixing your RX..and need some help. Check out the how-to's here for any help ya need!!

Old 04-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #1

sidewaysFC
Full Access Member

Send a message via Yahoo to sidewaysFC
Default Questions on power delivery
is it hard to do a port job your self what tools would I need , and if I do a street port should I do an exhaust port to to maximize power

Old 04-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #2

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Mazdatrix has a street porting DVD you can buy, it will show you the tools & how to do it. I would suggest having a steady hand & know how to work a die grinder/dremel. You can buy the templates from Mazdatrix or a few other companies (Pineapple Racing & Atkins Rotary). You don't have to port the exhaust, but I look at it like this. If you are opening up the intake why not open the exhaust, the engine will be broken down so just do it all at one time. At this point you may want to look at things like hardened gears, eccentric shaft oil jet mods & anything else that is done when rebuilding.

BTW here's a link to Mazdatrix http://www.mazdatrix.com/videos.htm

Old 05-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #3

sidewaysFC
Full Access Member

Im going back and forth on wether I should go with a large street port or a mild street port how much power can I expect from each with the mods I plane on doing such as turbo roter housings ill probabley port those a little a free flowing exhuast ported throtle body and those things that reshape the 5th and 6th ports for better air flow pluse all the stuff im doing to make the engine more realiabul hardend stationary gears race rotor and main barings and some other stuff I cant remember

Old 05-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #4

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

You don't need the race rotors, a large street port will net you a few extra ponies, I have heard mixed reviews on the ported throttle body, on the AUX ports they sleeve inserts which you have to epoxy in & they have complete reshaped sleeves available & if the baffle in the NA exhaust port is why you want to use the turbo housings, they do sell aftermarket sleeves & you can actually grind out the baffles from what I understand. I can not tell you how much power you will make but it should be in the low 200's, at least around 190 depending on what you do & what is used for tuning.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:27 AM   #5

sidewaysFC
Full Access Member

I mean raceing roter bearings not roters, the ported tb will be mainly just for throtle respons ,and the racing beat oil jets, im puting new roter housings in it any way and the turbo roter housings cost the same as the n/a roter housings. and im going with an 93-95 apexi fc with a data logit and the banzi racing adapter kit for 86-88 rx7's

Old 05-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #6

sidewaysFC
Full Access Member

i would like to get it up to 250hp the only thing is I dont want to do a bridge port any suggestions

Old 05-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #7

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Well lets say to get close to your goal.
1. Big street port
2. Proper exhaust
3. Individual throttle body set up (TWM 51mm IDA)
4. Fuel management & fuel sys upgrades
5. High octane fuel (aggressive tune)

I will say that the car will be loud & not something I would drive on a regular, but that's my opinion. If you get close to the power you want, but not there. You can always cut weight in the car to help utilize the power that is made.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:50 AM   #8

sidewaysFC
Full Access Member

I am going to be taking some weight off the car I want to keep my stock Intake system and it can be as loud as a funny car for all I care Ill probably only drive it on the streets on the weekends. and i would like to tune it my self but i would probabley blow the moter im still trying to teach my self how tuning works but I need a dyno any way to do a proper tune so ill have to fined a tuning shop , by fuel system upgrades you mean like fuel injecters ,fuel pump ,fuel pressure ragulater. and whats an aggresive tune?

Old 05-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #9

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

What I'm mean by aggressive tune is to tune on the edge for maximum power. Having access to a dyno is nice, but you can street tune any vehicle. I have friends that are well known tuners so I leave that stuff to them. Yes fuel system upgrades are the above, as well as lines & rails. To tune the EFI you will need some sort of piggyback or standalone. If you get to the point in your build where it's time for a shop visit talk to Dave at KDR/Speed1 http://www.speed1allentown.com/Home.aspx

Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #10

sidewaysFC
Full Access Member

can I just upgrade to turbo fuel injecters or will I need to up the cc's.Do I need to upgrade my ecu right away or can my stock ecu handle all off this until I get the money for my apexi fc ecu, And do they make upgraded intakes that will bolt right up to my dynamic chamber or upper intake assembuly like from the engine to the upper intake.

Last edited by sidewaysFC; 05-24-2011 at 01:44 AM.
sidewaysFC is offline   Reply With Quote