Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 1st Generation

1st Generation 1979-1985 Discussion

Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
1stGenNa4Now

Send a message via Yahoo to 1stGenNa4Now
Default Rx7 Newbie
Hey ya'll I just bought an 1979 Mazda Rx7 with 79000 miles on her. Any tech info, advice, do's and don'ts, anything that I should know to keep it running properly will be appreciated. Im the third owner of this vehicle. The second owner added some stitched rx7 leather aftermarket seats and matching door panels. An Rotary Shack Custom Max Power Header was also added by the previous owner along with a Magna flow exhaust. I took the vehicle to a local Mazda dealer for an inspection and was told it had an oil leak but besides that it was in great condition. I changed the oil and after driving it almost 900 miles it was 1\2 a qt. low. A few drops of oil on my garage floor are visible too. All the emissions have been removed. The car starts right up and runs perfectly. The body has no rust or dents. For the near future I want to upgrade the intake manifold and carb. Any advice on that would be appreciated aswell. I love this car and I want to make good reliable power with it n/a before I even think of boosting it. Firts though I want to fix the oil leak. Again any advice will help. Thanks for reading.
1stGenNa4Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #2

black rocket
Full Access Member

Welcome to RX-7 Forums! Sounds like you found an excellent 1st gen. Oil leak is probably from OMPLoil metering pump) located pass side of the motor.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #3

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Any pics of the car? Sounds like a nice find really. Seems to have a decent amount of money in the exhaust. What were you thinking as for the carb? (Weber, Holley or something else)
BoostedFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
1stGenNa4Now

Send a message via Yahoo to 1stGenNa4Now
Originally Posted by BoostedFC View Post
Any pics of the car? Sounds like a nice find really. Seems to have a decent amount of money in the exhaust. What were you thinking as for the carb? (Weber, Holley or something else)
Thank you sir! I deicided to swap the whole motor. Is still a 12a but with half the miles on it. I am new to rotary but not to making cars fast. There are some pictures in my other posts of my progress. I'll have a video up of her first start soon. There is a picture of the car on my profile. For the carb/intake I decided to go with a racing beat manifold and holley. Im on business in the midwest but, I am originally from Puerto Rico. The home of some of the fastest rotary powered cars in the world. Thanks to the knowledge and experience of my Family and friends I have learned enough in less than a month to completely overhaul my first rotary. Thanks for your interest
1stGenNa4Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:34 AM   #5

black rocket
Full Access Member

In that case, I'm sure we don't need to remind you of the compression test!

Old 09-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #6

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

There are some 12a powerplants out there making good numbers, good luck with the build.
BoostedFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #7

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

How are things working out for you & the car?