Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 08-11-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
HeyImJohn

Exclamation New to rotary help appreciated!
Ok, so I went to an auction two weeks ago and just went for fun and before the end of the auction I saw a sexy Japanese automobile... I started bidding on it and ended up winning a 89 rx7 gxl 5 speed for $650, the car had Rims already on it, hids, new springs I believe, ac works &heat however the interior was all screwed up like someone ransacked the car but most of the interior was still in the car which I put back. anyway, it's an FC and it's got 156k miles and it runs good,to cut to the chase, I was thinking of making it a turbo, can I buy a turbo kit or do I have to swap a turbo2 engine? All I can find is ppl doing swaps, But other then that, headlight motors are apparently burned and the rightside mirror is broken off, and the sunroof cable is broken I think, so I just ordered the motors and mirrors, body work is done after I order my bodykit it's going to paint then I was planning on buying an apexi n1 dual exhaust and pacesetter headers rite now all it's got besides stock is an air breather and big k&n air filter, any answers on my turbo question or advice how I can make more power on this n/a car is appreciated. Now I have to look for replacement racing seats since the stock ones have been sliced up -.-

Last edited by HeyImJohn; 08-11-2010 at 05:47 AM.
HeyImJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:36 AM   #2
BioNuke

I'm not 100% sure but I think it is possible to put a turbo in, but in the long run it's better to swap then upgrade... mostly because the NA tranny and differential cant handle much more power than a NA engine.
BioNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
HeyImJohn

Yeah I read it's possible but a lot of fabrication is necesary and it's more expensive then a swap -.- this sucks idk what else I'm gunna do after I get my exhaust and headers for more power (NO NOS) I just read porting or boring but can u do that with a rotary engine?
Old 08-12-2010, 04:55 AM   #4

black rocket
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by BioNuke View Post
I'm not 100% sure but I think it is possible to put a turbo in, but in the long run it's better to swap then upgrade... mostly because the NA tranny and differential cant handle much more power than a NA engine.
I fell asleep as I was responding to this thread... sry. I'm 100% in agreement with BioNuke. Along with axle difference and caliper difference (if you want to stop effectively). So, that being said yes, when you make your car faster you'll need to modify other part od your vehicle.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:24 AM   #5
HeyImJohn

Alright, anyway as for an update my cars currently in the shop getting dents pulled body kit installed and new paint, then comes the headers and exhaust as of now I just have a four inch k&n cone filter, can anyone give me a recomendation for headers and or exhaust? As for headers I've been between racing beat and pacesetter I hear racing beat is better? And for exhaust I'm thinking apexi n1 dual exhaust or hks hi power dual exhaust, althought for one of them I'm not sure but I think it's discription said only one of the exhausts actually work the other muffler is just for show for performance purposes... Thanks in advance!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #6

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

What you have is a 13b 6 port motor, the turbo motors are 13bt 4 port's for that gen RX7. You can turbo the 6 port it has been done many times, the turbo swap is just easy & no real fab work. You can find TII trannys fairly cheap, but you will need the rest of the drivetrain ( rear end, axels & shaft ect ). As far as porting yes you can. There is a few different types of port jobs, some shops have thier own signature port jobs as well. The basic types are Street, Bridge, Half bridge, Peripheral. Check this link for a description. http://www.mazdarotary.net/porting.htm

The RB headers are the best bet, but if you want to go cheap the Pacesetter will work fine. The N1 exh are nice systems, I don't have any experience first hand on the HKS Hi power though.

Remember when modding a car do things equally, meaning don't just tackle engine componets. Make sure you give the other aspects the proper attention. Making power without traction or control may prove to be a bad decision. Good luck & welcome to the forum, coming from another new member.
BoostedFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
HeyImJohn

What do u have to do when u want ur engine potted? Take out ur engine n ship it to them? And yeah idk I don't think I'm gunna go that far I think my car will be decently fast with my four Inch intake the headers and the exhaust I'm gunna drive it like that for a while I wanna look up more on the hks hi power cause hks is more notorious then apexi but the n1 seems to be more popular. As far as control when I got the car I looked under and discoverd aftermarket red springs idk what brand they are. I just hope my car isn't rediculously loud after the headers and exhaust I just want it to be decently loud and sounding nice which I think it will. Do silencers cut horsepower? As car as inspection goes I know a guy that with some $$ will make the car pass a-ok
Old 09-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #8

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

To port the motor yes it will need to be torn down & put back together. Red springs most likely Eibach's. Keep the silencers in cruising around take them out going to the track.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:06 AM   #9
HeyImJohn

Where do the silencers go? And I'm thinking of replacing the cat with race pipe? What would I buy to replace the cat if u could post the ideal part I'd appreciate it and cuttin the cat makes a significant power increase rite? And idk I'm gunna pass inspection no matter what so I wanna cut the cat and keep silencers out 24/7 i have mustang cobras w straight pipes hear n cops very rarely bother them
Old 09-23-2010, 05:03 AM   #10

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Not sure where you are, but one thing is true everywhere & it's that imports catch the attention of the police. Domestic cars such as Stangs, Camaros & Vettes usually skate under the radar. I would run presilencers or some sort of resonator. Loud doesn't always mean fast, but it will prove to be annoying driving around town. The N1 style mufflers use a baffle type silencer that is placed in the tip of the muffler. It is easy to remove & replace (one bolt).

Tags
1989, gxl, rx7, turbo