Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Photo Section > Members' Rides

Members' Rides This is where members to post their rides.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:08 AM   #11

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Do you have the 5" or 7" Camden, how much boost, what motor, what port job & are you running any kind of charge cooling? What kinda of numbers were you looking to make, I have spoken with guys that made in the 250 range. I could never get any specifics on their set ups though except they were running around 10psi, but don't quote me on that for I'm not too sure. Also I have only estimates on my own power 340 is a goal & should be attainable since I have seen an all out set up right at 300 in the past with a carb

Old 03-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
project7

Don't quote me on this but I think its an s5 t2 block with n/a rotors, fairly large street port, unsure blower size or boost yet.. Bought the engine as is but it is newly built.. I didn't dictate the specifics. I've plans for a meth injection setup and no charge cooling currently though I really want to. What did you do for yours? I haven't seen any specifics from anyone running a blown rotary and this is my first boosted application.. I'm on the wrong side of clueless..
project7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #13

black rocket
Full Access Member

According to the set-up you have you are running 9.4:1 compression rather than normally applied lower compression TII rotor of 8.4:1 ideally for forced induction application.

This particular set-up, as you mention, will be squirting methonol/mix basically to cool occurrence of detonation heat using pump gas.

Have you thought the set up thoroughly as when, not if, your meth pump or nozzle fail as you'd be squirting at every boost (turbo) constantly with s/c? Just curious.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #14
project7

Well, like I mentioned, I got the engine as-is. I could maybe shoot for some t2 rotors but that is kind of a big set back if it becomes a requirement. I mean, is detonation a guarantee if I'm running slightly higher compression? You'll have to pardon ignorance, like I said, this is my first foray into the world of boost, and rotary engines in general.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #15

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Well on the compression NA could mean different ratios depending on what yr rotors you are using. I am using the 9.4:1 from a S3 13b, then you have the 9.4:1 S4 rotors which are slightly heavier then the S3 & S5 rotors & lastly the S5 rotors are 9.7:1. For the turbo rotors the are 8.5:1 for the early models & 9.0:1 for the later. Running higher compression does not mean failure, it means tuning has to be more spot on & the use of higher octanes. As for the blower measure the case in between the end plates (ribbed section) it will be 5" or 7". My set up has a water to air aftercooler for charge cooling, smallest blower pulley Camden offered, larger diameter main pulley, port matched the manifold & a bigger fuel system then most of what I seen guys running on the Camden. I do have an Aquamist water injection system, but it has been taken off & may not go back on.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #16

black rocket
Full Access Member

tuning aspects, yes indeed otherwise you will be facing serious damage to your engine.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #17

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

When it comes to higher compression ratios & boost or nitrous the need of a quality tune is key. The RX8 has a factory compression ratio of 10.0:1 & with moderate boost levels they do fine. I know of piston motor guys that run high compression motors on boost as well, it's just more common to drop the compression & raise the boost to make more power allowing for more tuning error to a degree. They generally run high octane fuels or meth injection.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #18
project7

I'll have to measure the blower when I go back down to the car. It is about 2 hours away, but I'm hoping to get down to it sometime in the coming week. I'm fairly certain the rotors are from an S4 block.

So Boosted, why are you thinking about leaving the water injection off? I was suggested the meth injection from a guy with a very similar setup to mine on the club forums. I'm really interested in your aftercooler setup, it's something I want to do but I'm not at all sure where to begin on that.

I do plan to ensure proper tuning before I'm finished with this thing, but I am planning to daily drive it for a little while and I'm kind of concerned with it being a carburetor application, the tune can vary depending on the weather.. I'm thinking a swap to efi may be in order but it will be sometime down the road so that means the carburetor is going to have to suffice for a bit, at any rate.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #19

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

I just have too much going on in there at the moment & the aftercooler should be fine by it's self. Before the cooler I was dependent on the chemical cooling. I get a lot of my ideas for things on my car from the V8 drag racers, an old friend of mine who built old school drag cars had a 468ci with a 8-71 blower. One day I was poking around in the shop & I noticed there was a large aluminum piece mounted between the blower & the manifold, it had hoses running to it. I asked him what it was & he told me it was an aftercooler made by Superchillers. After that I was determined to get one, so I took some measurements, drew up a few pics & sent them to a shop recommended to me by a friend. The cooler system consist of the cooler, pump, hoses & radiator with electric fan for the cooler. I'm going to have another friend add some small tanks to pack ice in for the track. My cooler is the reason why things don't fit under the hood anymore, but it's fine (function over looks)

Old 03-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #20
project7

Do you feel that a more traditional intercooler would be as effective? I ask that because I am half-tempted to try rigging up a top mount from a t2. I've already got the hood, but not sure how much room I'm going to have to play with once it closes.. Probably not much, but possibly enough?

I'd love to see some pictures of your engine if you have any.

Last edited by project7; 03-12-2011 at 10:30 PM.