Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 03-07-2012, 04:41 AM   #1
xicious

Exclamation Knocking noise from shifter
I picked up beautiful midnight blue 87 na for an awesome price. The problem was the car has been sitting for years, so following the advice of a friend I sea foamed the hell out of the engine prior to first start. So it's been a good project for me and my pops and we have been getting a lot done with the car but we keep running into issues. My pops is a mechanic for subaru and I have a little mechanical knowledge myself but nothing on rotary engines. The current issue is that While driving the car we kept hearing this noise coming from directly below the shifter it was like a metalic kanging knocking kinda noise, it mostly did it in 2cd and 3rd gear so we thought it was the clutch then when we parked the car and tried to start it again the clutch pedal wouldn't budge at all until the following morning and it started fine and clutch pedal went in fine. So we decided to put a new exedy stage clutch in there figuring maybe that was what is causing the noise. Sure enough the noise is still there my dad suggested maybe the car has bad fuel and it could be spark knocking but he has no idea what that would sound like from a rotary engine. So key points: doesn't do it at idle or rev, metalic klanging/knocking noise from shifter area, usually happens before shifting to third, I can feel it in the actualy shifter. Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.
xicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
680rwhp12a

try changing the tranny rubber mounts.. thats usually the culprit!
680rwhp12a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
xicious

Thanks man, I'll take a look at them later. Do you usually have to change the trans cross member too?
xicious is offline   Reply With Quote