Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > General RX-7 Area > FAQ

FAQ If you have any questions about engine work, parts needed, part locations, anything....post it all here in the FAQ section!

Old 05-01-2004, 04:57 AM   #1
ZpSand

Send a message via AIM to ZpSand
Default Enigne up-keep
I am thinkin about getting a 3rd gen RX-7, and i was wonder how you keep the 13b rotory engine running...i've heard they can be unreliable

Old 05-01-2004, 06:22 AM   #2

Shaggy
Administrator

I have had my 3rd Gen '94 for a few years now...and I hvaen't had any problems. Just keep up with the oil changes and tune ups over the years...and it should be fine.

Old 05-01-2004, 06:56 PM   #3
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to AusTexRex
Default Re: Enigne up-keep
Originally Posted by ZpSand
I am thinkin about getting a 3rd gen RX-7, and i was wonder how you keep the 13b rotory engine running...i've heard they can be unreliable
Those are just rumors because a lot of people didn't know how to care for a rotary engine, blew them, then bashed the engine for it.
Change your oil frequently and monitor it's level as oil is part of the combustion process. In the past using Synthetic oils would destroy a rotary engine as they were not as refined as they are now. Supposedly they work fine now, but I still use straight oil myself.
Aside from that take it out at least once a month and blast the rpm hell out of it (don't redline though) and get it revved up, this'll blow a lot of the crap out of the engine. If you're still having problems it's most likely a carbon buildup (the reason you should only use 92+ octane) and there are ways to clean that without taking the engine apart.
Summary: They're reliable as hell, pistonheads are just scared of a new engine. They did the same thing to the boxer 4 (WRX engine).
AusTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:03 AM   #4
ZpSand

Send a message via AIM to ZpSand
thanks

Old 05-03-2004, 10:16 PM   #5
2ROTORMOTOR
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to 2ROTORMOTOR Send a message via MSN to 2ROTORMOTOR
yea thats just a rumor but I got to admit that they do require alot of attention... also the previous owner(s) have alot to do with the condition in which you car is right now.. If they beat the crap out of it or didnt do the required maintanence im almost certain the engine is in its last moments of its life... remember to check the oil injection as that is what keeps the apex seals alive... after 10 or 11 years of use they tend to get clogged up.. check them out..

Old 05-03-2004, 11:09 PM   #6
Hollywood
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood
your going to be buying a used FD, so plan for the worst. make sure you are prepared to make the repairs.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:49 AM   #7

black rocket
Full Access Member

First thing you do is to ck for compression. If seal is "done for" you're looking into rebuild it yourself or buy another one.

Thing about rex is that electrical is much to be desired and ck for harness for brittleness and be sure to ck the inside of oil cap. By doing so you can generalize what's going on i.e., coolant seeping into oil, etc.

Rotary is one great engine...if you take care of them

Old 05-06-2004, 04:52 AM   #8
2ROTORMOTOR
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to 2ROTORMOTOR Send a message via MSN to 2ROTORMOTOR
good one I forggot to mention a compression test...

Old 05-07-2004, 04:44 AM   #9
damnitsfrancis
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to damnitsfrancis Send a message via MSN to damnitsfrancis
i have a question, does it cost a lot of money to get parts and maintain a rotary? some guy told me its hard to find parts or something but i want a second opinion :]
damnitsfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 05:18 PM   #10
Hollywood
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood
in the past few months I have spent 7K on my Rx7, but parts are easy to find, just call Rich at gotham racing, they ship all over the world, and know their stuff
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote