Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 1st Generation

1st Generation 1979-1985 Discussion

Old 03-24-2004, 08:50 AM   #1
Jay
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to Jay
Default A lot to learn...
Looking at Haynes manuals, etc.. I realize I had a LOT to learn about the RX7 engines. I'm sure it'll all make sense once I start tearing it apart.

The car I'm dealing w/ is a bone stock 1979 RX7 w/ a 12a. Where's a good place to start to boost performance on these things, or would I be better just dumping the engine in favor of a 13b?

Are any parts interchangable between the two engines?

www.momentumsportcompacts.com
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 11:43 AM   #2
2ROTORMOTOR
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to 2ROTORMOTOR Send a message via MSN to 2ROTORMOTOR
Ok the 12a engines are good, but a 13b is better. A 13b swap isnt that hard at all and its a noticeable gain. But the best way to learn, is to open your engine up, once its open and you see whats inside with your own eyes you could maybe have a better understanding of it. Now Im not necessarily telling you to open up your engine if you dont know what you're doing, but if you buy a 13b, and swap out your 12a, open it up. Now there are some videos out there that show you how to rebuild the engine, go to ebay and type rotary rebuild video and see if you find it. The haynes manual is good but it leaves alot of stuff out.

Old 03-24-2004, 09:59 PM   #3
Jay
Full Access Member

Well, I'm pretty competent when it comes to cars. I did the V8 swap on my Malibu. I also have a nitroused Neon. I've been fabricating parts for a few years now, and been rebuilding engines for about 10. I understand the Wankel as a concept. It's all the little things like ignition timing and a/f ratio that I need to get a feel for.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:25 PM   #4
2ROTORMOTOR
Full Access Member

o ok then. But remember when rebuilding the engine, its easy to misplace things and put thing where they do not belong. But other than the engine itself every thing else is pretty str8 forward. Timing is still corrected by putting it on the leading Which is equal to #1 plug. I mean everything else is pretty much str8 forward except for the actual workings of the engine.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:36 PM   #5
Jay
Full Access Member

What are the usual bottlenecks/problems w/ these engines?

Old 03-24-2004, 11:31 PM   #6
2ROTORMOTOR
Full Access Member

ok, first of the one main problem that you'll of people complaining on, is the reliability issue. But I for one will tell you that any engine that is abused and not treated right will die unexpectedly. These engines are very reliable as long as you take care of them. Now, one way to keep this engine runing w.o problems, is to control fuel that it receives. Now u wont need to worry about it in stock for, or with mild upgrades. But once you start going with boost and all of that, it becomes a problem. Nitrous is good if you put a wet shot. You could even go into a 75shot using wet injection.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:09 AM   #7
Jay
Full Access Member

I plan on sticking w/ NA for the time being, to get a feel for the car. I might toss on a 50 shot for the hell of it, but this car is mainly for drift. As light as it is, I don't need much power.

The reliability doesn't scare me. I owned a Jaguar.

Old 03-25-2004, 02:16 AM   #8
DongeR

Send a message via AIM to DongeR
there was a video some place of a fb doing 9k parked for 9 mins. then the exhaust caught on fire. great vid and great engineering. i believe if the radiator had an overflow of water i doubt it would have blown within 20 mins.

DongeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 02:20 AM   #9
84gslse

Send a message via AIM to 84gslse
Default might be parting out a gsl-se motor, tranny,ecu, and diff
i will be swapping in a t2 engine and all of the associated components pretty soon, would you be interested in buying these, car has 160000 miles. but i doubt the engine and tranny do. i got to drive my friends 85 gsl-se (with the 13b) and it didnt feel nearly as fast as mine did. it would be a solid engine and tranny to start from. let me know if you are interested

Old 03-25-2004, 02:54 AM   #10
Jay
Full Access Member

Buying the NA 13b? What kinda figure did you have in mind? Where are you located?