Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 09-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
OMG Its Arro

Default N/A To TII?
Had a quick question about N/As. Since I'm looking into getting a 2nd gen. But its real hard to find a decently priced TII. If I get a N/A, is it basically the same engine, and I just add on the turbo parts? Or is it a beefier engine and would need a complete swap. Also can N/As put out as much horses with the right mods? Real new to this, so any advice is helpful. Thanks!
OMG Its Arro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:43 AM   #2

sidewaysFC
Full Access Member

Send a message via Yahoo to sidewaysFC
well n/a's have 2 extra intake ports that open up in the higher rpms and stay closed in the lower rpm to keep your low end torque.also n/a's have baffles in the exhaust ports that would hinder the exhaust flow to the turbo, I think they sell exhaust port sleeves that dont have the baffle/defuser in them but the moter needs to be apart to change them but other then that its the same engine. you could just take the sleeves out of the 2 extra intake ports so there always open it wouldnt flow as well but it should work. but if your striping it down that much already it wouldnt be that much more work to pull the moter out take it apart and do some porting wich will give you the same afect as upgradeing the cam on a piston engine and depending on how big you want to go you can get an n/a in the mid 200's with a street port and with the right mods. you could also go bigger and do a bridge port witch could get you up in to the high 200's or around 300 but around there you start to lose your driveability

Old 09-13-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
OMG Its Arro

Ah nice, I have been doing some research, I think I may just pick up a used RX-8. I do like the way they look. And I fit in them lol. I test drove a 2nd gen the other day and I just didn't fit well at all in it, I'm a decently big guy. (220 lbs, 6'0) And I didnt have a prob in the RX8. I didnt want one before because I didn't think you could do much with them. But then I found out you can turbo charge them. Even if it is 5000 for the kit, and another 2000 for the ECU. I think it would be worth it in the end, I miss that scream of the rotary! Well what do you guys think?
Old 09-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #4

sidewaysFC
Full Access Member

Send a message via Yahoo to sidewaysFC
Thumbs up
Thats a way to go

Old 09-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
LunchboxCritter

It is fairly simple to make a NA into a TII. It takes about 40 hours labor for someone who has never done it. You will need to swap the engine, trans, drive shaft, rear end, and ecu. A turbo 2nd generation can be accomplished for less than than the turbo kit parts for the rx8. The 2nd generation TII will also crush an RX8.

The Rx8 is a beautiful car and is fun to drive. We own two 2nd gen rx7's and an Rx8. I am 220lb and 6'0" tall and I fit fine into all of our cars.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:43 AM   #6
OMG Its Arro

If I wanted to swap all that stuff out I might as well dish out the $5000 and just buy a used TII from someone. Last time I drove one I did have boots on, had trouble with the pedals lol. Also, would a TII crush a Turbo'd RX8? Which one is cheaper to mod also? I'm assuming the older?
Old 09-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
LunchboxCritter

Yes the TII will crush the stock rx8.

The swap only costs about 500-2000, depending on the condition the NA engine and other parts and your ability to resale them. You'll need some tools like an engine hoist (easily resold after use), jack stands, etc.

Both cars are expensive to mod. I think the TII would be cheaper, safer, and easier to mod. Many people have blown the renesis engines with the greddy turbo setup - I assume caused by bad tunes. The ECU in the RX8 is more complex (controls more systems) than the TII.

A good exhaust for a rotary powered car is going to run you $700-1000. The Racing Beat TII exhaust seems to be the choice for the TII.

Last edited by LunchboxCritter; 09-15-2011 at 01:21 PM.
LunchboxCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:05 AM   #8

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

As Lunch has stated the change over from NA to TII is not complicated, I have always said that if there is a turbo model offered then just start with that. Now the exception would be with the Vert unless you live in a country where the Verts came turbo then that would be a reason to NA to TII. Understanding what you want form the project & knowing your abilities will determine the cost of your build.

Another option would be to make your own turbo NA six port 13B. There is no readily offered kits so you would have to piece together a system that would work within your budget.