Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 3rd Generation

3rd Generation 1993-Current Discussion

Old 01-25-2011, 05:00 AM   #1

Pgentry

Default I'm an Idiot
Okay so im new to the rotary and still learning many things 1. does anyone know any publications that i can check out so i can get more confident on working on my rx? and 2. this has nothing to do with the first but im an idiot...i put in octane booster for about 2 months straight...what kind of long term damage could i be looking at and is there any preventative maintenance that i can do to stop said damage...i spoke with my local speed shop who have guys that know rx's very well and they said it can really mess up my plugs...should i look into immediate replacement of them? and i figured out too late on my own research that it also dries out my apex seals...i know these are a very precious item in the beautiful motor that we all know(ish in my case)and love. can anyone help me learn more bout these all important seals and what i can do to make sure they dont dry out?? the previous owner did everything he could to make her as reliable as poss with the basic tuning (rebuilt motor, street port apexi commander, new twin screws, greddy exaust, and apexi intakes.) thankyou for reading the obnoxiously long post and thankyou for your input
Pgentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #2

black rocket
Full Access Member

I would highly recommend getting yourself a shop manual. As to your long term octane booster is concerned, it alteres your detonation point and I personally do not think seals are ruined, unless due to abusive driving.

I would ck your lubrication system to make certain it's functioning properly.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #3

Pgentry

Alright great thanks rocket, there hasn't been any kind of abuse in me and my babys relationship so I'll put that worry on the backburner and as for the shop manual I appreciate it, thankyou and thankyou fer your time brother
Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #4

black rocket
Full Access Member

Just keep in mind that proper TLC you and your FD will be happy for a long time.

I have a habit of checking oil & coolant every time prior to start my FC

Old 01-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #5

Pgentry

Alright cool I tend to check mine every third time I fill up on gas, I want to put in a gt35 turbo in. Would that decrease reliability? I know the rule of thumb with rotary is higher hp lower reliability but isn't it less moving parts from the twin screws help out?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #6

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

GT35r's are great turbos to use, you need to figure out what power levels you want to achieve & follow some builds to see what they are using. Talking to some of the reputable shops / tuners will also provide great info. As far as publications already stated was a good factory shop manual to know how to do things, but there's the Performance Handbook by Mike Ancas & Street Rotary By Mark Warner that will give you some ideas.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #7

Pgentry

Awesome thanks, I appreciate your alls time
Old 01-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #8

Pgentry

Okay great, thankyou, also haha sorry, what have u heard about haltech for engine management? Better than the fc controller?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #9

black rocket
Full Access Member

I have Haltech E6X and one day, when I can afford Haltech guru, BDC to fiine tune it for me.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #10

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Haltechs are good ecu's, I also run a Haltech in one of my cars. Seeing that you are on the East coast like me you could talk to Dave at KDrotary. http://www.kdrotary.com/ for tuning.