Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > General RX-7 Area > TECH Support

TECH Support Technical Support for your RX7, Open 24/7/365. Post your problems and see if someone can help!

Old 12-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
92civicex

Default Noob in desperate need of help!
Hello everyone! I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out. I have a buddy that bought a 1st gen with a rebuilt 13b motor in it and he's having some problems getting it started. I've owned a few RX-7's and so has he but its been a few years since we've had one and this one is giving us fits...

When he bought it, it ran perfectly! He drove it back and forth over 100 miles a trip a few times a week but suddenly decided that it wanted to drain the battery if it sat for more than 24 hours. We replaced the battery and moved it to the trunk and problem was solved. Then we started having trouble with the battery again, alternator went out. Ran fine for a little while longer then finally while coming back from the auto store, it decided to blow an oil line and empty the oil supply on the ground. We towed it back to the house, replaced the line then pretty much let it sit for a few months because other priorities came up. Now we are trying to get it back up and running again but can't seem to get it going.

When you try to start it, it makes one turn over then dies, lights dim and everything like the battery was bad again. We took it to the store, charged it up and put it back in the car, same thing. Then though maybe the starter was bad, went and had that replaced too, same thing again. We are stumped and not sure were to go from here. Do you think after the oil spill it destroyed the motor? We want to do a push start but nervous that it will do more damage if there really is something wrong with the motor. He tried to turn over the motor by hand but it wouldn't budge. I'm assuming that's bad news. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we could try next?

Again it has a brand new battery, starter, and alternator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and again I've been out of the rotory world for way too long so I'm a little rusty. If I've left anything out just ask me and I'll do my best to fill you in.

Thanks!
92civicex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:12 AM   #2

black rocket
Full Access Member

Did you ever ck'd your battery cable? When I relocated my battery I, obviously, made a brand new cables and just for curiousity I ck'd how bad the corrosion was by ripping the cable off and it was so badly corroded I was bit surprised it even worked.

I, of course, replaced 90% of wiring for my own peace of mind.

Additionallly, what's the condition of your plumbing? Hope you are not trusting 20+ year old rubber hoses :0 Vac lines as well.

Furthermore, recently rebuilt or not you can easily blow your seals due to lack of lubricant and could be blown.

So, I'd ck your cables, plug wires, vac, fuel lines, OMP and its nozzles, then compression ck in that order.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
92civicex

Yea it has all new battery cables. Before it was moved to the rear it kept corroding so he got all new cables to fix that. I have a bad feeling that the seals have had it. Last night we tried pull it down the driveway while it was in gear for the heck of it to see if the motor would turn but its not budging. I guess its time for another rebuild... How much do one of those cost?

Thanks for your help by the way!
92civicex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Sonik11
Junior Mod

Rebuilds range in price depending on where you get the parts, try our classified section and don't forget important details like gaskets and vacuum lines
Sonik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:54 AM   #5

black rocket
Full Access Member

It wouldn't turn at all?