Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 01-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
tscw

Default 87 rx7
Hi guys. Im turning 16 in a few days and am looking for a first car. I found an '87 rx7 with 200k miles on it. It also has a cracked radiator, but i found a new one online for uner $200. What Im wondering is, are these reliable cars even with that many miles on them? and will insurance be high because its a sports car? Thanks for any help.
tscw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #2

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

200k is a lot of miles to be honest, do you know if there has been a rebuild at anytime? Cracked radiator dosen't sound like a good thing, considering overheating is a major issue for rotary engines. You may be looking at a rebuild in your near future if you buy this car. Is this a turbo model or non turbo, how much are they asking for the car, has it been sitting for a long period of time, does it run & how does it run if it does?

Not sure what insurance will run you. Yes its a sports car, but then again it is older so I don't know.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
tscw

Engine hasnt been rebuilt and its N/A. The guy is asking 700. It also has no radio, floormats, and a ripped drivers seat. He said it runs fine but overheats in 20 minutes because of the radiator.
tscw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #4

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

I honestly think that car needs a rebuild. The fact that it has that many miles & overheats are just not a good mix.