Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > General RX-7 Area > TECH Support

TECH Support Technical Support for your RX7, Open 24/7/365. Post your problems and see if someone can help!

Old 06-22-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
Suzmo

Default ummm Oil problem.
Hey guys, i was just driving it normal for abit and just uped it in 2nd gear and after i got home, and let the turbo timer shut down the motor, smoke started comming from the engine bay and i lifted up the hood and there was some kind of oil over the left hand side of the engine bay, near the blow off valve.... (FC3S Turbo series 5) any1 know what it could be? does oil come out of a blow off valve sometimes? or does it sound like a oil line bust and how do i know my engine is up for a rebuild?

(Dont worry i got everything else undercontrol)

thanks
Suzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:44 AM   #2
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to AusTexRex
First off for future reference when you mean the side of the bay that the BOV is on refer to it as the passenger side, as left is a relative term depending on where you're facing.

Well if there were going to be a lot of oil over near the BOV would be the most likely place. Directly next to manifolds is the Oil Metering Pump. This could have sprung a leak anywhere and with the pressure this thing sees it could be all the way to the front of the engine bay.

The PCV is also in that area. I suggest you refer to the 2nd generation FAQ for a link to the factory service manual. Download the segments covering this subject and use them to help hunt down your leak. Since you said smoke, I would assume that it came from the OMP and is falling onto the exhaust manifold and burning. Also make sure your Pulsation Dampener has been replaced (not related, but you don't want your FC to burn to the ground.)

If you need help finding anything further just ask.
AusTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:15 PM   #3
Suzmo

Hey AusTexRex, I live in australia meaning that side is the drivers side.... I also thought that when ya look into the engine bag, most of the times the hood is opened from the front view.. but anyway... nah i sussed it out abit more.... my Turbos seals are broken... so all it needs is a new turbo.. going ot get it high flowed as well thanks anyway
Old 06-24-2004, 03:43 AM   #4
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

If you're going to a new turbo instead of rebuilding your current be sure that it will mate with your exhaust mani. While the turbo is off fabricate/buy a new intake ducting to fit your new turbo if needed. Also while it is off it is a good idea to replace the seals on the oil filter and oil pump, as well as cleaning out all of your manifolds. Basic upkeep of everything in that area is a lot easier with the turbo off.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:57 PM   #5
Suzmo

yeah thanks for the advice ill do that, dont worry the turbo im purchasing is a factory series 5 turbo, just been high flowed... ill clean it all
Old 06-25-2004, 02:07 AM   #6
2ROTORMOTOR
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to 2ROTORMOTOR Send a message via MSN to 2ROTORMOTOR
Originally Posted by AusTexRex
First off for future reference when you mean the side of the bay that the BOV is on refer to it as the passenger side, as left is a relative term depending on where you're facing.

Well if there were going to be a lot of oil over near the BOV would be the most likely place. Directly next to manifolds is the Oil Metering Pump. This could have sprung a leak anywhere and with the pressure this thing sees it could be all the way to the front of the engine bay.

The PCV is also in that area. I suggest you refer to the 2nd generation FAQ for a link to the factory service manual. Download the segments covering this subject and use them to help hunt down your leak. Since you said smoke, I would assume that it came from the OMP and is falling onto the exhaust manifold and burning. Also make sure your Pulsation Dampener has been replaced (not related, but you don't want your FC to burn to the ground.)

If you need help finding anything further just ask.
Its an s5 the PD is intergrated into the fuel rail, unlike the s4 which is a banjo bolt.... and if the oil seals where gone you wouldnt se oil burning on the manifold..... so like aussie said im sure its a leak on one of your mop lines....

Old 06-25-2004, 05:41 AM   #7
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Like I said before I know it wouldn't cause smoking, I was just suggesting that he be up on his PD/FR so his car wouldn't burn.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:18 AM   #8

black rocket
Full Access Member

Uhhh... I feel tension

Ck the oil line going to your turbo and lines feeds from MOP.

When was the last time you ck'd your oil lines? If it's "original" you got one big surprise coming your way.

I'd change them lines, if I were you.

And more so on fuel lines.