Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > General RX-7 Area > TECH Support

TECH Support Technical Support for your RX7, Open 24/7/365. Post your problems and see if someone can help!

Old 08-18-2004, 03:37 AM   #1
mdz

Default clutch
I just started getting a slight noisecoming from my tranny. it goes away when i engage the clutch. could my clutch be going to hell?? any response es would be helpful..94fd
mdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:35 AM   #2
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to AusTexRex
Just double checking but engaging is when your foot isn't on the pedal. Or rather, the clutch pedal is not depressed. Disengaging is when you're pressing on it.

If it's when disengaged then it could be tons of things. Best bet would be to use the access panel and look in the bell housing. Be careful it's full of asbestos (cancer causing dust). When engaged then it's a transmission problem, and will require a rebuild almost guaranteed.
AusTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:00 AM   #3
mdz

yea thats what I meant, when I disengage the clutch. I'm not much of a mechanic, and really dont have time to actually do the work myself. I guess the mazda dealership would be the best option around here. I'm going to start with a new clutch, and see what happens from there. Thank for the info.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:48 PM   #4
pr0ject7

Send a message via AIM to pr0ject7
clutch throwout bearing.

Old 09-02-2004, 05:09 AM   #5

black rocket
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by pr0ject7
clutch throwout bearing.
Yep, that's what it is.

You're gonna take it to the dealer! They will just eat you alive for what they charge.

If it's throwout bearing, it really won't do you any good looking thru inspection panel (no offense AusTex )

Do you feel the clutch grabbing OK?

Sure way to tell is drive steadily and see if you feel as if you are being pulled back (sort of speak) and forth (note it's very minute feeling so pay attention). That means your clutch isn't working properly.

Also, how you apply your clutch (high rpm shift, etc.) affects your OEM clutch and pressure plate. I just recently "shattered" my clutch disk and mangled the pressure plate...LOL

Ask AusTex how fun it is to drop rex tranny

Hope you won't get screwed by the dealer, as most of my buddies try so hard to avoid them.

Old 09-02-2004, 04:27 PM   #6
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by black rocket
Originally Posted by pr0ject7
clutch throwout bearing.
If it's throwout bearing, it really won't do you any good looking thru inspection panel (no offense AusTex )
Looking into it and having it dis/engaged a few times can help you single out where the noise is coming from. But yes, throwout. Unless your clutch is A-OK I'd just replace pilot bearing, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, rear main seal, front and rear transmission seals, and the transmission mount all at the same time. It saves you a lot of time later on.
If you could do it yourself it would be pretty educational, but if you have the money go for it with the dealer. I'm working on a write up for it right now, but I did it a month or so ago, so I've been trying to remember every step.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:43 AM   #7
mdz

I feel the clutch grabbing ok. I've noticed that when I start it, it clicks for a second, then it cranks over. I ordered a street strip ACT clutch from rx7trix.com, and got in yesterday. Next week I'm going to order the prolight flywheel, so I can go ahead and replace them both while I have it out. I found a a shop in Midland Tx instead of the dealership to my work. Hopefully they wont screw me over. They seem to be pretty respectable. I think the closest repectable rotary shop is in Garland, Tx( Rotary performance), but thats too far just for a clutch. I'll check back and let you guys know how good these guys do on my car!!! By the way, anyone in the west TX area in these forums? Thanks for the replies.................................
Old 09-04-2004, 05:18 AM   #8

Shaggy
Administrator

Keep us posted mdz..

Old 09-04-2004, 07:34 AM   #9
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Make sure the flywheel is counter balancing the two rotors. If you get a non rx7 flywheel it won't mate correctly unless you have a 20B 3 rotor engine. The flywheel is critical in this process
Old 09-16-2004, 03:37 AM   #10
mdz

I finally got the clutch put in On monday(9-13), and well the pressure plate was wore out. I bought the ACT street/ strip clutch kit. and well that didint solve the problem. They throwout bearing was not the problem. I took it to another shop today, and he told me the only thing turning is a bearing that could be wore out (??????) hE WILL tear it apart friday and will know what the hell the noise is friday night. I used the stock flywheel, and just had it resurfaced........................