Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > General RX-7 Area > TECH Support

TECH Support Technical Support for your RX7, Open 24/7/365. Post your problems and see if someone can help!

Old 04-06-2005, 10:12 PM   #1
justinius7

Send a message via Yahoo to justinius7
Default Catalytic Converter
Last weekend I had 2.5" exhaust installed from the Manifold back on my 88 GXL, having all 3 cats removed and replaced with straight pipes and resognators.

Unfortunatly I live in San Diego, and commute 1+ hours each way in traffic and I am affixiating myself from raw fuel fumes. I love the sound and the extra power, but also this is my DAILY commuter, and the fumes are killing me

Is there a LARGER free flowing cat that can be installed to help cut of the emissions with out comprimising sound/power? Or is there a way to "lean out" while at idle?

What is the typical thing people do when opening up the exhaust? Not too worried about SMOG at this time, as vehicle is not registered in CA.

Any Ideas would help!
justinius7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 12:32 AM   #2
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to AusTexRex
If the fumes are bad when you're inside then you have a major leak in the exhaust system.

Also how the hell are you going to get away with this in CA?
AusTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 01:12 AM   #3
Psycho_Dad
Full Access Member

Send a message via ICQ to Psycho_Dad Send a message via MSN to Psycho_Dad
LOL first thing i have to say is "you polluting bastard"

second thing is "good on you for trying"

3rd thing, i dont know if you have this type of ford, but the turbo ford xr6 falcon cats supposedly have stuff all restriction untill you go over 230hp or so

shouldnt lose too much noise

cheers
Pscyho_Dad

Old 04-14-2005, 09:58 PM   #4
justinius7

I'll crawl under the car and check for exhaust leaks, try that and see what i can find.

The car is registerd in Wa. State, so I will continue to "mail order" my tags, as emission testing is not mandatory if you live in rural area's of washington state.

Is it possible that i have an oxygen sensor or some sensor that is not working properly, if so is there a way to check for fault codes, or does that have to be done at a shop.

Also, if I buy a 2.5 inch magnaflow cat and have it installed will it make a huge diff?

thanks!
Old 04-14-2005, 10:02 PM   #5
justinius7

I must also note: we do not have the XR6 here in the states, But i returned I lived in St. Kilda (melbourne) for all of 2003. Gotta admit, that the XR6 ute, BAD ASS CAR..

Must also give credit to the V8 Holden Commodor. I believe our Pontiacs here are starting to take much resemblance. But i do not believe they can compete.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:47 PM   #6
mavrick420

Originally Posted by justinius7
Is it possible that i have an oxygen sensor or some sensor that is not working properly, if so is there a way to check for fault codes, or does that have to be done at a shop.

Also, if I buy a 2.5 inch magnaflow cat and have it installed will it make a huge diff?

thanks!
You can check you O2 sensor but you need an ossilliscope (or factory scan tool), all you do is watch the wave form, if the O2 sensor is good you will see the voltage increase and decrease, if stays at one voltage value or moves very little the O2 sensor is not responding.
And buying that cat would help a lot.

Old 05-09-2005, 04:42 PM   #7
Canaduh
Full Access Member

Send a message via MSN to Canaduh
Yeah, it makes no sense you're getting fumes in the car, you have a leak for sure. And as for checking codes...
http://www.johnr.com/cpucodes.html

Old 05-10-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
justinius7

Ok, have yet to test the O2 sensor, although over this past weekend i had a 2 1/2 hi-performance magnaflo cat put on with no precats and it seems as if that has solved the problem.

Although I would still like to see if i have any fault codes, as my gas milage is still 17mpg average.

Thanks

Old 05-10-2005, 07:14 PM   #9
Canaduh
Full Access Member

Send a message via MSN to Canaduh
Oops, that site i gave was for 89-91's, but he says he's not sure if it works for older ones. So it isn't leaking anymore? I think 17mpg is fairly good, im sure you can get 20-25 though, city will kill your mpg