Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Members Area > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself here. Let eveyone know where you're from.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
project7

Default Hi from the Southeast.
I was doing some google searching and lusting over Mariah Motorsports Mode Six wbk when I stumbled upon a boostedfc thread on rx7club and saw his homepage linked here. Before that I was pretty much unaware this place existed. So I came on over and found out boosted pretty much built the car I'm in the process of building..

It all started almost four years ago now. I found a pretty beat up 88 SE at a coworker of my step-dad's home and had to have it. Up to that point my only real hand's on experience came from ownership of two third gen Trans Ams. So after a few months of bugging the then third owner of a very abused FC I managed to talk him into selling the car to me. I'm not entirely sure of the full history of the car but what I do know isn't pretty. It had undergone a Tii rearend swap and had nitrous run through a stock 86 year model engine. The original had long ago locked up. The test drive was fairly smooth all things considered but that would prove short lived. I bought the car for $900, which I considered quite fair given its condition and that it was still running.

Three weeks into my ownership the clutch kicked the bucket and since the transmission was grinding third I went ahead and picked up a Tii drivetrain to complete the driveline conversion. Upon installation the engine wouldnt hold idle so the car went off to Luis Canizales for a diagnosis. The results weren't pretty, the rotor housings were toast, I'm sure in large part thanks to the nitrous and drag racing that it endured. So Luis sold me on a Camden prepped street ported 13b with a Holley carb fueling it all. That was nearly four years ago and I have yet to drive it since. The economy took its toll on me but I'm finally recovering and hoping to drive this thing before the end of summer. There is a ton of work left to do though, so hopefully you guys can help steer me the right direction. I don't have many specifics anymore since it has been so long in limbo but I hope to rediscover and write up the rest of my absurd journey into the rotary world.

I can tell you all some of my near future plans though. I recently ordered a Racing Beat Road Race header and will continue the rest of the exhaust with the same. I'm currently hovering my finger over the purchase button on a Devil's Own meth injection kit and some other goodies. I expect probably in the neighborhood of 220whp when all is said and done with the engine. And that is the main target for now. Solidifying the engine for regular driving and then moving on from there. I have some pretty lofty goals with this thing though, as I mentioned earlier. I'm pretty serious about building oa similar car to boosted's widebody beast, although the idea was there before I knew his existed.

Anyways this is pretty lengthy now so I'm going to stop here and thank you for reading if you're still doing so. I'll apologize also because I wrote this up from my Droid and the autocorrect can be a bit funky at times. Thanks again for bearing with me!

Last edited by project7; 03-10-2011 at 11:30 AM.
project7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #2

black rocket
Full Access Member

Welcome to the Forum!

We are here to help each other and as long as we understand questions we do not send out grade sheet for spelling & grammar

Sounds to me you're being realistic and we all appreciate that!

Let us know what we can help you with.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #3

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Welcome to the forum. So you seen me on the club, I haven't been there in a min now & think I'm under the name Rotordad there. Like Rocket said we will try to help you find any info you may be looking for or direct you where you can find the info so just ask away. Have you purchased the Mode 6 kit already or are you planing to? I remember when I first started looking into doing a widebody FC at first I was going to do the RE Amemyia. Then I found the Mariah which I purchased, this car has been unchanged for right at 12 yrs I would guess. I still may do another widebody FC on my turbo car if I can find an RE or maybe the Tri-Point, from what I understand someone has bought the molds to replicate them.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
project7

Yeah it was an old post or thread there. I started looking at your posts there and you linked here in your profile.

I've yet to buy the kit, there's plenty that needs doing well before I'm ready to get into visuals. I'm a bit worried it may not even be in production anymore..

Thanks for the welcomes!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:56 AM   #5

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

As far as I know they still offer the kit & the optional parts as well.
http://www.mariahmotorsports.com/

Be prepared to to fork over some cash to get it all together (wheels/tires, Bodywork/paint & kit itself) If you can do your own paint/body work you can save some money as well as by used wheels.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
project7

Yeah right now I'm really hoping to come across a set of Simmons B45s or some of the older BBS GT rims like those found on the old IMSA RX7s. But, visual mods are a ways out yet unless I just come across a killer deal on pieces.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #7

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Good luck finding the Simmons B45's in the right sizes, since Simmons is no more & B45's were more common in 15". I have seen a set of 15" x 11" & 16" x 10" B45's but they were 4 lug. 15's would probably look to small, 16's decent, 17's & 18's would fill the fender nicely. I would also say that at least a 10.5" wide wheel for the rear & 9" for the front, but that's just me.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
project7

Yep, I'm afraid the B45s might be a pipe dream. I do tend to favor smaller diameter wheels though so 15s or 16s wouldn't really bother me but fitting them with rubber is more of a chore. I'm also not opposed to Diamond Racing wheels.. They're considerably cheaper, especially in these kinds of sizes but they do lack a bit of style.. Either way, with wheels this wide, will I need to do anything to avoid any fitment issues? Or will it be relatively straight forward with the new fenders? I've never had to worry about anything like this before.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #9

black rocket
Full Access Member

With a proper and reasonable offset factor you will be alright.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #10

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

To make things easy for you, when it's time to buy things contact Mariah Motorsports tell them the diameter & width you want to go with & they will help you find the right offsets.