Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Mid-Size Import Sports Car > Nissan

Nissan Post MID-SIZE Nissan Sports car related questions, info here.

Old 03-01-2005, 06:59 PM   #21
DarkAngelKamui

Send a message via AIM to DarkAngelKamui Send a message via Yahoo to DarkAngelKamui
Hmm, all good info... gives me a bit to think about... lol

Unfortunately, while i've been gone away i've had to sell my RX-7 TII and now own a 89 240SX with a 97 KA24DE swap resting within... it's got quite a few mods on it already, but the biggest one that i'll be shooting for is the turbo upgrade, since I too am not convinced that the SR20DET is the absolute godsend... just seems like more hassle then it's worth in the long run...

Anywho, If things go well enough this year, i'll be shooting for the upgrade no later then this summer... I'll keep anyone who's interested in the loop with play by play info...

KAMUI Corp. 0wnz you......

(Yeah, it's SUPPOSED to be spelled like that....)

"It was like a sonic boom.... I thought maybe it was a low-flying jet..."
DarkAngelKamui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 06:01 AM   #22
EDacIouSX

Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX
You guys have convinced me to post here about the 240sx ka24. Here are some specs from a KA-T at www.KA-T.org
These three will give you an idea of what a KA-T can do. This thread's kind of old but I hope i brought some insight onto the topic.

Oh yes, here is the link http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1042
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 01:05 AM   #23
Crisis

Send a message via AIM to Crisis Send a message via MSN to Crisis
My roomates got 240 for about 500 bucks,lol it needs work. he is keeping the stock ka, turboing it. he works for sound performance in chicago. they have a 240 ka turbo that puts out about 600 horses, i think thats what he told me, he hates how all these people get the SR20 and rip on the KA. if you dont think KA's have power you are mistaken. www.phatka-t.com

Thats a division of sound performance, they got forums and shit. Sound Performance sounds like a car audio place, it used to be. they now specialize in turbo applications. they put together a 1500 hp supra, it does about 8.45 on the track. ive seen videos of both, im not lying.
Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:44 AM   #24
Fireplug

I know this post is old, but I'm new here and couldn't resist. Please don't think of me as singling you out, these are just some remarks that I'd like to comment on.

Where are you getting this information? OEM internals have been shown to hold around 300rwhp in the KA.
They've actually been proven up to just abour 450 now before the rods have problems.

Both have forged internals (proven) and both hold over 300whp on stock internals
Neither have forged pistons stock....both have cast pistons.

And assuming that what you're saying is true... why would anyone get an SR? Parts are MUCH more expensive, and in many areas in the country, smogging an SR is a hassle. If you're aiming for "moderate boost" than why boost an engine that will cost thousands to fix if blown over one that will cost you less than an aftermarket clutch?
Actually they're not. Most parts come right off of a usdm 2.0 from a Nissan Sentra.

A couple other points...

1. The SR20DET is a square engine. This means bore = stroke. The KA is an over-stroked engine, which means that bore < stroke. This means that at any given RPM, the KA has a higher piston speed. Higher piston speed means faster exhaust, which means faster spool. This means KA owners can take advantage of larger turbos without worrying so much about turbo lag.
This is somewhat true, however because of the KA's bore/stroke/head setup it cannot rev as high as an SR engine unless the head is built. therefore it cannot take full advantage of a larger turbo's higher rpm powerband.

As for SR's being god's gift...maybe not. But I think some of the main reasons why so many 240 guys go with the SR include: Aluminum block/head, (lighter motor = lighter car. it's been noted in SCC that the weight of the SR motor/tranny < the weight of the KA block alone) The SR's ability to lay down over 500whp in stock form with only putting in a headgasket, The SR's ability to rev higher, the aftermarket support for the SR is a lot higher than the KA, (though the KA is now becoming more and more popular and getting decent support), Parts are fairly easy to get for an SR, etc etc. I picked up my SR motor/tranny/harness for 500.00 and was laying down 13.0's @ 105 on the stock turbo with bolt-ons...not too shabby considering it had no tuning or weight reduction and a 1.9 60'. Don't get me wrong, the KA is not by any means a bad motor..I've considered building one on the side for shits...but each motor has its own perks.

Precision PT67
11.5 @ 125 (18 psi)
Fireplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:59 AM   #25
Fireplug

Originally Posted by DarkAngelKamui
Unfortunately, while i've been gone away i've had to sell my RX-7 TII and now own a 89 240SX with a 97 KA24DE swap resting within... it's got quite a few mods on it already, but the biggest one that i'll be shooting for is the turbo upgrade, since I too am not convinced that the SR20DET is the absolute godsend... just seems like more hassle then it's worth in the long run...

Anywho, If things go well enough this year, i'll be shooting for the upgrade no later then this summer... I'll keep anyone who's interested in the loop with play by play info...
Please don't take this as a "bash" on you, but why did you swap in a 97 KA? The redline is a bit lower and the cams are less aggressive...

Precision PT67
11.5 @ 125 (18 psi)
Fireplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:45 PM   #26
TII

Send a message via MSN to TII
Ive driven and worked on many 240's.

Im partial to the KA as you can pick up anothere motor for a couple hundred, and build it up for alot cheaper than an SR and the block is much better for abuse.
Ive done MANY builds on KA's and a few on SR's.

the SR is a great choice but its a costly one and i have netted a hair over 500whp from a KA that was not even pushed to its limits with regards to modifications.
Ive also pushed an Sr passed 500, and it seems easier to get it there but more expensive for parts and such.

there both reasonable options, but i like to play with whats aready in the car, im not a big engine swap kind of guy. Unless were talking about a 20b

TII is offline   Reply With Quote