Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > General RX-7 Area > FAQ

FAQ If you have any questions about engine work, parts needed, part locations, anything....post it all here in the FAQ section!

Old 02-25-2005, 05:06 AM   #1
dRuNk-mEdIc
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to dRuNk-mEdIc
Default 411 on Used car tips
Well RX7's as I know are turboed. Well I have created a FAQ on car buying Tips so here it goes. This goes for any car Nissan,Mitsubishi, Toyota etc.

-Stay away from High-mileage cars (in some cases go for it). Ditto cars that have already been heavily modified, so you don't have to worry about the quality of someone elses work.

-Check for oil leaks from the Turbo. If you see blue exhaust after the car has been warmed uup, chances are good there is a leak in the shafts. Another way is to disconnect the pipe from the compressor and wipe inside.

-Another oil ip; Since oil is the lifeblood of your engine and the turbo, check the condition of the crankcase oil. If it looks dirty or needs replacing, it might be a sign that the previos owner didnt take good care of the car.

-Pull off the compressors inleft pipe and check for foreign-object damage to the wheel blades. This is especially important if the car;s air filtration system has been removed.

-With the inlet pipe disconnected, reach in and sping the shaft. It should turn easy. Pul back and forth and up and down on the shaft to make sure the bearings are stil healthy.

-Some OE turbos are - and oilcooled . Check for rust. If rust gets inside the turbo it can damage turbos internally.

-Any signs of overheating could spell turbo problems. White hair-line cracks on the exhaust manifold are a giveaway that the engine has been running hot.

-A leak down and compression test will alert you to sealing problems between the head and engine block.

-Even well cared for turbos may need replacing if they have enough miles on them. Try to buy the car after the previous ower spent the bucks on a new turbo.

P/m if any problems

You can put 20 grand into your honda and its still a honda.

My RX7.....well its an RX7.
dRuNk-mEdIc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:38 AM   #2

black rocket
Full Access Member

"Stay away from High-mileage cars (in some cases go for it). Ditto cars that have already been heavily modified, so you don't have to worry about the quality of someone elses work."

Fully agree...

"Another oil ip; Since oil is the lifeblood of your engine and the turbo, check the condition of the crankcase oil. If it looks dirty or needs replacing, it might be a sign that the previos owner didnt take good care of the car."

You know...most people don't seem to "flush" their lubricating system and that causes unnecessary but preventable maintenance chaos. I get mine done once a year...well I only drive my FC in fair weather

"Pull off the compressors inleft pipe and check for foreign-object damage to the wheel blades. This is especially important if the car;s air filtration system has been removed."

And periodically ck for shaft play as well.

"Any signs of overheating could spell turbo problems. White hair-line cracks on the exhaust manifold are a giveaway that the engine has been running hot. "

Unfortunately, damages occur internally first and appear outward... to let you know it's a gonner

"Even well cared for turbos may need replacing if they have enough miles on them. Try to buy the car after the previous ower spent the bucks on a new turbo."

Depends on driving habits of the previous owners turbo itself will only lasts about 60K to maybe 80K miles. So yeah, it's ideal to find ones that have fresh turbo slapped on...

Good stuff dRuNK-mEdIc!

Old 02-25-2005, 07:47 PM   #3
dRuNk-mEdIc
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to dRuNk-mEdIc
Thanks always here to help you Black .

You can put 20 grand into your honda and its still a honda.

My RX7.....well its an RX7.
dRuNk-mEdIc is offline   Reply With Quote