Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 1st Generation

1st Generation 1979-1985 Discussion

Old 03-25-2004, 03:17 AM   #11
84gslse

Send a message via AIM to 84gslse
Default re: 13 for sale
im not sure, i was thinking 450-500 would be a decent price for everything, because im not gonna need it anymore but im not sure when it will be out of my car. im in great falls, montana. nw montana about an hour south of canada

Old 03-25-2004, 04:53 AM   #12
2ROTORMOTOR
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to 2ROTORMOTOR Send a message via MSN to 2ROTORMOTOR
You know a local junk yard may have what you want. There are 13b engines readily available. And if you want to run n/a power, and maybe spit out a lil money just do this. Get a TII engine and have it ported, depend on the emmesiion laws in your state, there are a couple different ports you could do. P-P is one of the best ports ever for effective n/a engine build. It puts the intake ports on the rotor housing instead of the plate. But for alot less money, you could get the Bridgeported engine, along with high comp. rotors, running a carburator. Thats one of the best setups for fb's. I say you look into it if you want to run nitrous or just plain ol n/a

Old 03-25-2004, 05:32 AM   #13
Jay
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to Jay
Lemme ask a stupid question here. T2 = twin turbo engine?

I know high boost piston engines are lower compression... are the rotaries?

www.momentumsportcompacts.com
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:55 AM   #14
2ROTORMOTOR
Full Access Member

no and yes. The t2 is the turbo engine found on 2nd gen rx7's. and Yes they are of lower compression compared to the non turbo.

Old 03-25-2004, 04:39 PM   #15
Jay
Full Access Member

I'm assuming different rotors give you different compression, similar to the piston. Is there anything in the rotary that took the place of the cam? What I mean is... upgrading the cam on a piston engine can net some decent gains. Is there something similar to be done on the rotary?

No not at all. Intake Timming is done by the rotor it self

Old 03-25-2004, 05:57 PM   #16
2ROTORMOTOR
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Jay
I'm assuming different rotors give you different compression, similar to the piston. Is there anything in the rotary that took the place of the cam? What I mean is... upgrading the cam on a piston engine can net some decent gains. Is there something similar to be done on the rotary?
Nope. And thats the beauty of it. porting and polishing are a rotors best friend. You could get some nice high comp rotors though and that along with some other upgrades will give you the upgrades your looking for.

Old 03-25-2004, 07:47 PM   #17
Jay
Full Access Member

Okay, so "duration" and "lift" are set. No cam timing (duh.) I'm sure there's spark timing, right? Would running an MSD or similar digital ignition help at all? I know RX7s have problems w/ spark at low RPM.

I've done my share of porting/polishing in conventional engines. I'm sure the same theories apply? Smoothing, enlarging, reshaping?

Old 03-25-2004, 09:44 PM   #18
2ROTORMOTOR
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Jay
Okay, so "duration" and "lift" are set. No cam timing (duh.) I'm sure there's spark timing, right? Would running an MSD or similar digital ignition help at all? I know RX7s have problems w/ spark at low RPM.

I've done my share of porting/polishing in conventional engines. I'm sure the same theories apply? Smoothing, enlarging, reshaping?

Yea you could set spark timming up to a certain point( not very much). But if you have a distributer then one of the best upgrades to ignition is a blaster coil from msd. But on 13b FI, Theres nothing better than the stock ignition. When you go F/I then is when spark amplification comes handy.Also spark is not a problem at all on rx7's. If you are talking about how they run rich, its a totaly different story but has nothing to do with spark.

Old 03-25-2004, 11:58 PM   #19
Jay
Full Access Member

As I understood what i was reading, they run rich at low RPM to compensate for the exhaust gases that sneak into the combustion chamber.

Old 08-19-2004, 05:05 AM   #20
Quakefire

Well for reliability. (Sensitive people and young children should not read this)

I saw a video of a guy draining all the oil, and all the coolant out of his 12a and putting a brick on the accelerator. They had bets of a couple minutes for the thing would fail. After 10 minutes the engine was on fire and still running, untill of course it threw a rotor out of the side of the car.

I havent heard of any piston engines running for 10 minutes without oil at full throttle
Quakefire is offline   Reply With Quote