Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > General RX-7 Area > How-To's

How-To's Fixing your RX..and need some help. Check out the how-to's here for any help ya need!!

Old 12-31-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
Brannonrx7

Default Transmission problem on 88 rx7
I have an 88 rx7 and i drove it for a year with no problems then about 8 months ago my transmission went out. I got it rebuilt and fixed. drove it for 4 months and the trans began to whine so i replaced the bearing and it still whined eventually i checked the fluids and they were fine. Then it kept getting worse so i got the trans rebuilt again. 2 months later the whining came back and this time with a wierd noise sounding like it was grinding when the clutch was released. i sent it back in and and got the clutch and trans replaced. once again 2 months later same thing. I have checked the fluids ad they are fine. I love the car but i hate to have to keep spending money on it. also someone who "knows it all" in my town told me to check the rear end... Idk if that would help but im not for sure ... if u can please help
Brannonrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:18 PM   #2

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Well damn man sorry for your luck. Is this a random mechanical failure or maybe your driving style may be the issue? What did the shop say when you had to replace the tranny after they rebuilt it? I am going to assume that they replaced the release bearing. Is the grinding in all gears?

Old 01-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #3

black rocket
Full Access Member

Have you ck'd your tranny & engine mount? Sounds more like lack of torque brace to me.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
Brannonrx7

I thought it was how i drove to begin with so i quit tryin to drive it fast but it still gave me problems and they said it was just because it was an older car.....also i thought when they replaced it that they were going to check the mount as they put it back on but i havnt checked it myself.. But thanks ill look into it i appreciate the help
Old 01-04-2011, 01:56 AM   #5

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

The old car excuse! LOL What the hell does the car being old have to do with a freshly rebuilt tranny? There has to be something causing the failure or the rebuild was not done right. You should have had some sort of warranty on the work done by the shop.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #6

black rocket
Full Access Member

I shattered my clutch plate because of poor mounts condition. I also replaced all the mounts/bushings on my FC after that.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
Brannonrx7

well i got the transmission built somewhere else because it was cheaper then i gave it to the shop to put back in. Because i got the trans from somewhere else they only gave me a 90 day warranty which was 3 months and it was 4 months when it started but that was the first time i didnt check into it the other times i guess i was to frustrated and figured they would fix it by the second time lol. But hell no!! and yea they gave me the old car excuse. But I need to check that out my mounts ahead of time just to make sure before something does go wrong. But I love the car and i want to keep it up and running in good condition but i hate putting all this money into trans problems because i have bigger plans for the car in the future.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
RX 7 freak

May be the parts you have replaced were not the original ones......just get it checked in the service center and show them the parts you have replaced.....try drive slowly with proper transmission while driving.....
RX 7 freak is offline   Reply With Quote