Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 05-16-2010, 05:34 AM   #1
Skipsblind

Default rebuild question and yes i have been scanning forums
Iam about to undergo a rebuild on a 87 turbo im probably gonna pic up the atkins video. was just wondering what i need to do.
1. do i need to have it rebuilt like i would with a piston motor or how do i know if i do. so far i know that it has almost no compression. how do i know if i can just buy a rebuild kit or if i need a new motor?
2. i was also thinking about getting it ported. if i do is it going to run ok with just intake/exhaust and street porting or will i need to do anything else?
3. are there any special tools ill need for taking apart/putting a rotary back together?
i have done many piston motors just not rotary and i have been looking through the forums before asking just havent had my questing answered completely. thanks in advance for replies.
Skipsblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #2

black rocket
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Skipsblind View Post
Iam about to undergo a rebuild on a 87 turbo im probably gonna pic up the atkins video. was just wondering what i need to do.
1. do i need to have it rebuilt like i would with a piston motor or how do i know if i do. so far i know that it has almost no compression. how do i know if i can just buy a rebuild kit or if i need a new motor?
2. i was also thinking about getting it ported. if i do is it going to run ok with just intake/exhaust and street porting or will i need to do anything else?
3. are there any special tools ill need for taking apart/putting a rotary back together?
i have done many piston motors just not rotary and i have been looking through the forums before asking just havent had my questing answered completely. thanks in advance for replies.
Contact Atkin's Rotary. They offer "how to rebuild rotary engine" DVD and they've been in the business since Mazda brought Rotary to U.S.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
ryrotary7

you dont really need special tools but it will help. i took out my motor out with simple tools. you just need cherry picker and just few tools to get the engine out. you need impact wrench greater than 250foot pound also. i think street porting is gud enough if its street driven. bridge porting can be too much, some say in other forums. it b gud idea to pick up haynes manual cuz it shows how to overhaul the engine. it took me n my friend couple days to just take out the engine and couple days to take everything apart. it will b faster if you have more ppl and spend more time. i havent rebuilt the engine so i can't help you with rebuilding tho. but its not that hard if you do your hw. gud luck
ryrotary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #4

black rocket
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by ryrotary7 View Post
you dont really need special tools but it will help. i took out my motor out with simple tools. you just need cherry picker and just few tools to get the engine out. you need impact wrench greater than 250foot pound also. i think street porting is gud enough if its street driven. bridge porting can be too much, some say in other forums. it b gud idea to pick up haynes manual cuz it shows how to overhaul the engine. it took me n my friend couple days to just take out the engine and couple days to take everything apart. it will b faster if you have more ppl and spend more time. i havent rebuilt the engine so i can't help you with rebuilding tho. but its not that hard if you do your hw. gud luck
Haynes are ok... It would be better if you can get a hold of Mazda Shop Manual and no second guessing required.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
Cosmo7

Open that motor up and see if some of the parts r still good. too see if its even worth rebuilding

Old 08-31-2010, 05:33 AM   #6

black rocket
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Cosmo7 View Post
Open that motor up and see if some of the parts r still good. too see if its even worth rebuilding
That's for sure! Nothing worse than a news of bad rotor housing .