Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 06-16-2005, 07:26 AM   #1
baqouba

Send a message via MSN to baqouba
Default 88 N/A with bad idle
Hey! I'm new here but I got an 88 N/A and it doesn't want to idle at all. Starts and revs to about 3k and after a few seconds it drops down and dies if you don't keep pumpin the pedal. I haven't had the car very long but I know the guy who had it before me replaced the whole intake with another one he bought off of ebay. I know that the BAC is a common problem but what are the chances that two them are out(I have the old intake) ? I don't know much about these cars so any help is appreciated. I've had the car for a little over a month now and have put off fixing this because I hit a deer the first week of having it and finding parts here in MN is a real bitch and I am just about ready to start driving it again. I can post some pics but I don't really know how. Anywho any kind of help is appreciated. thanks
baqouba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:50 AM   #2

black rocket
Full Access Member

Sounds to me like there's some leak somewhere I wonder if your buddy replaced gaskets when he replaced intake and such...

Do you see any smoke coming out of exhaust? Should replace all fluids when you buy pre-owned car.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
baqouba

Hey I never thought of that one so I guess I will have to look at that one. He ain't really a friend of mine and now that I have the car I found one for the same price from a guy here in MN who just deals with 1st and 2nd gen. rx7s. This guy kinda screwed up the wiring harness, because some stuff doesn't work like the dome light and when the dash lights are on they flicker, but hey I've driven worse . I'm sure there are other things wrong too, but I haven't been able to drive it all that much. I got my hood and right head light assembly yesterday for $100 and as an extra bonus the hood was an aluminum one...if the people would have known I would've got charged more. Ok so yea there is some smoke when I start it up and once it warms up its fine. I haven't changed the oil yet and was wondering what might be good to use? I got spark plugs and a fuel filter ordered and will put them in soon. Could the bad idle be a injector problem? what do you guys think? thanks for the gasket idea black rocket
Old 06-16-2005, 04:52 PM   #4
baqouba

hey do you know how to post pics on the forum? I got some of my car and the deer I hit if anyone wants to see them. My car is a rainbow ride right now...haha but at least its better than before
Old 06-16-2005, 07:38 PM   #5

black rocket
Full Access Member

bad idle= vac leak and/or tuning.

Sry about the pics issue...you have to have someone host it.