Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 09-17-2014, 01:09 AM   #1
dg415

Default first time rx7 buyer looking for advice
Hello.

I am new to these forums and also new to RX7s in general. I have had my eye on an FC on Craigslist, but due to my extremely limited knowledge of RX-7s I am not sure whether this is a good buy or not. After reading through the list of mods/upgrades installed on the car, it struck me as a really good deal, but I'm concerned that this might not actually be the case.

One of the reasons why I'm concerned is because the seller doesn't seem to want to smog the car, which might actually even be illegal under CA law (pretty sure you're legally required to smog any operative vehicles in order to sell them in this state). I'm worried that with the mods currently installed on the car, it might not be able to pass a smog.

The car in question can be found here:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4638625350.html

Do you guys think this is a good deal? Would this car pass a smog check? If not, what modifications would be required to get it to pass smog? How much would the modifications cost? How much would they impact performance?

I'm also curious to know what sort of regular maintenance this particular car would require (excluding the standard RX7 maintenance such as oil changes every 3k miles, etc)

Basically I just want to know whether or not I should buy this thing. Based on what I've seen it looks like a good deal but I thought it would be a good idea to run this by some people who are more knowledgeable about RX7s than I am, so I figured I'd post about this here and get you guys' feedback on this particular car. I just don't want to end up buying a lemon or a car that is undrivable on the street because I can't get it to pass smog...

I tried posting this on the RX7Club forums as well but for some reason none of my posts were going through so I decided to come here instead.

Thanks for your help!
dg415 is offline   Reply With Quote