Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > General RX-7 Area > TECH Support

TECH Support Technical Support for your RX7, Open 24/7/365. Post your problems and see if someone can help!

Old 03-22-2004, 10:28 PM   #1
rx7pilto586

Send a message via AIM to rx7pilto586
Default TII turbo on an N/A second gen rx-7
I was just curious is it complicated to install a TII turbo on a N/A Rx-7. I've seen a couple of peoples sites that have pulled it off and i really wanna do it but some of the stuff is a little in the gray area. for example would it be better to make the intercooler top mount or front mount? Which way would produce better performance and which would be better for easy install. If somebody could give me a list for all the parts i have to fabricate. If you could include dimensions that would be helpful. Also of some sites of this project documented would help.

thanks,
rx7pilot586
rx7pilto586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:03 AM   #2
2ROTORMOTOR
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to 2ROTORMOTOR Send a message via MSN to 2ROTORMOTOR
first of let me ask you a question. Do you mean just the turbo, or the whole motor? If its the turbo only its pretty much more complicated than just installing a turboII motor.

Old 03-23-2004, 04:26 AM   #3
rx7pilto586

Send a message via AIM to rx7pilto586
Default just the turbo
i wanted to just put the turbo on the engine cuz its a good motor and the turbo would be cheaper than a new motor. Plus the n/a motor has higher compression so ill get more power. And finding a TII motor is gonna be hard or at least finding a good one with a good turbo. Another thin is i dont really have the equiptment for an engine swap. But if i get a parts list now i can fab. all the parts at my high schools welding shop.
rx7pilto586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:24 AM   #4
2ROTORMOTOR
Full Access Member

Default Re: just the turbo
Originally Posted by rx7pilto586
i wanted to just put the turbo on the engine cuz its a good motor and the turbo would be cheaper than a new motor. Plus the n/a motor has higher compression so ill get more power. And finding a TII motor is gonna be hard or at least finding a good one with a good turbo. Another thin is i dont really have the equiptment for an engine swap. But if i get a parts list now i can fab. all the parts at my high schools welding shop.
Ok. like I said swapping the turbo is alot harder than you think. The thing is that, the way the n/a Intake manifolds are made, it doesnt allow much room for the turbo. Some people have done it and they work greak but they have to mod the fenderwells and what not. In order to make it work. you would need a turboII lower intake manifold and upper intake manifold. But its not as easy as it sounds. The turbo II is 4 ports and the 86-91 n/a are 6 ports. That means caping of the 2 extra ports and them having the ports on the intake manifold line up with the ports on the engine. But that is one way of doing it. I can show you another way.

Old 06-13-2004, 12:48 AM   #5
AutoXFC3S

Send a message via AIM to AutoXFC3S
i was thing of doing the same thing and when u say block 2 ports off.... how in the world do u just block them off???

OWNED
AutoXFC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 05:48 AM   #6
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to AusTexRex
Block them off with plates. Do it right and the added force will blow hard though the 4 remaining ports. I've also heard of people making a fitment piece that routes the 6 ports into 4 before attatching to the manifold. Don't spend your time and money putting a turbo on an N/A motor. Supercharge it if you're going to keep that motor.
The higher compression is actually a drawback, as it limits the amount of boost that can be safely added to 10 psi. You can pick up a good turbo motor for cheap, or you could buy a blown turbo + 13BT and send it off to be rebuilt by Kevin Landers for 1500. Get it ported and such for more power and it would be 1750
With the added power the N/A Tranny will crap out very quickly so that will need to be replaced as well. Personally I'd just buy a TII with a blown motor for 500 bucks and get it rebuilt.
AusTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 06:11 AM   #7

Shaggy
Administrator

Aus...you say it would cost $1500 - $1750 for the rebuild...is that just the labor?

Old 06-13-2004, 08:01 AM   #8
2ROTORMOTOR
Full Access Member

ok best thing to do is buy a jdm motor, which should run anywhere from 900-1200... then use your tranny, harness, and turbo ecu... dont start with the blocking of shit, cus its not worth it... youll spend a hell lot more time and money doing that shit.....

Old 07-01-2004, 09:06 AM   #9
7Tim

if you really want to turbo a N/A engine, Aaron did it.

http://www.aaroncake.net/RX-7/naturbo.htm
7Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:56 AM   #10
2ROTORMOTOR
Full Access Member

aaron is adick head, if he wasnt a moderator I would simply tell him off in the forums.... that motherfucker pisses me off.... he thinks he knows everything when in fact,he doesnt. the whole tb setup he has is fukin stupid and the most ignorent thing to do.... check out that "srawberry". anyways, if you want some good info, just ask in the forums....