Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 1st Generation

1st Generation 1979-1985 Discussion

Old 06-13-2016, 04:27 AM   #1
james.redbull96.

Default New to rotary's
I just bought a 1983 rx7 gsl with a 12a rotary. It has 150000km on it and it gets delivered on Tuesday.

I don't know what oil to use in it. After hours of research I have found people use different types of oil and sometimes premix gas. So I have no solid answers.

Do rotary's use oil similar to a two stroke?? Will I have to continuously top off the oil or is it just gas and go?? I haven't found a straight answer. Sorry for the newb questions, Thank you.

Sent from my thl__5000T using Tapatalk
james.redbull96. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #2
Werdpc

What's up man. I've had 3 rx7'rx7's so hopefully that qualifies me to answer this. Some may have different opinions. For oil, I usually use 20w50 in the summer and 10w40 in the winter though I think 20w50 year around would be ok. I now live in south GA. So I'll probably run 20w50 year round. It doesn't get very cold.
Rotary engines do use oil in the gas like a 2 stroke but they have kind of an oil injection system so you shouldn't have to mix it yourself. Just gas and go. It doesn't use that much oil though so you shouldn't have to add oil to often but it's always good to keep an eye on it as with any old car. But if you don't have any leaks and it is running good you shouldn't have to add anything more than a quart between oil changes. Hope that answers your questions. Have fun with the rx7. Fun cars.
Werdpc is offline   Reply With Quote