Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Classifieds > Cars For Sale or Want

Cars For Sale or Want Want to sell you car or looking to buy? Post it here, and find a new home for it!

Old 10-16-2004, 07:40 PM   #1
darkuncle

Default FS: black 88 vert, super clean, extensive aftermarket
http://darkuncle.net/darkmobile/

(there are a lot of photos I took recently at the above URL, but they're big enough I don't want to clog up this post by linking them all. I've put one of the best at the bottom of this post.)

(the following is taken from the eBay auction I had up last week; I should have put it here first. The general public isn't in a position to appreciate all the effort that's gone into this car.

I'm moving back east in about two weeks, so I _must_ sell this car before then. I've put probably $10-15K into it over the past 3 years, and am asking only $5K for it now. I could probably get more if I were willing to wait, but I'm in a hurry. If you're interested in a test drive, a personal inspection or wish to buy, drop me a line at [email protected].)

Black 1988 RX-7 convertible, purchased in 2001 as salvage title (small engine fire, I think; only evidence of this is a small blackened patch on the rear firewall; no engine, frame or other damage was ever found) and completely rebuilt.

Specs:

* Interior: Momo shift knob and wheel, 2-piece short throw ($350 for that one - eliminates the annoying rattle that's common with short throws in 2nd gens!), custom Rockford-Fosgate audio system (400W amp, custom-build speaker box with dual 8" subs behind the seats, 6x9s in the doors, headrest speakers, Sony Xplod CD head unit with LCD detachable blackface in custom mount), drilled aluminum foot pedals, alarm system includes shock and interior motion sensor.
* Exterior: brand new $2K paint/body job (March 2004), 17" Smith's racing 5-spoke chrome rims wrapped in new (< 100 miles) 205/40-ZR17 tires, silver painted Mazda calipers, Porsche H4 headlights, '91 taillight conversion, shaved emblems from the trunk lid (very clean look), aluminum '91 hood.
* Handling: Eibach lowering springs and new gas shocks (installed Spring 2003), custom front sway bar. I love this car in the canyons - it's not quite a Miata or MSP, but I take it into the twisties every chance I get . New 205/40-ZR17 tires (< 100 miles) give excellent grip.
* Engine/powertrain: This is where most of the effort has gone - custom intake with high-flow cone filter and a number of intake tricks provided by RotaryShack.com, electric fan, rebuilt entire cooling system including radiator in 2002, new plugs and alternator, 3.5" custom mandrel-bent piping from downpipe to dual Apex N1 exhaust tips, new stage 1 race clutch, 91 N/A transmission, brand new 91 driveshaft (installed 3 months ago). I've done about as much as I can to the engine and drivetrain performance-wise without going turbo, and still keeping it (mostly) street legal. The internals are about the only thing I've never had to touch; still has the stock seals, rotor housing, etc. 175K miles on the car now, but most of the car is actually newer.

Vehicle Condition

Nearly every part of this car has been replaced, rebuilt or upgraded during the past 3 years. The 2 things left on my todo list are a turbo engine swap and reupholstering the seats (driver's seat has the usual damage on the side area facing the door where it gets rubbed getting in and out; passenger seat is in perfect condition). There's a small scratch on the front bumper where a license plate holder would normally mount.

I've used only Mobil 1 15W-50 full synthetic in this car since the day I bought it, and do oil changes every 3K miles (every 2K for the first year, till I got more lazy), and fill it with the highest octane non-race gas I can find.

This has been an outstanding daily driver, project car and general obsession for me for 3 years now, but it's time for someone else to finish the project (turbo engine swap and reupholster the seats). In that time I've gotten married and had a baby, and find myself in need something with a backseat that's at least big enough for a carseat. *sigh* (hopefully an RX-8 in a year or so ... )

Hits the redline quickly and easily, the engine is most comfortable in the mid- to high-end of the powerband (above 3500 RPM), but idles well. Been garaged both at home and work the entire time I've owned it. Primarily freeway miles and a few trips up and down PCH (wish I'd made more trips between LA and Big Sur ... what a gorgeous drive)

Terms of Sale

Vehicle located in Pasadena, CA area. If you'd like to take a look at the car (or a test drive), email me and we'll set something up. The primary motivator for selling this car (aside from needing something with a backseat) is that I'm moving to the midwest around the first of the month, and don't want to tow this car 3000+ miles when I do.

I prefer to sell to a local buyer, but am willing to sell to non-locals who can arrange their own shipping or are willing to pick up the car in person. I'm willing to take a money order or cashier's check (PayPal if absolutely necessary).

Vehicle has just been registered in non-op status with CA DMV, because I didn't want to pay full registration for something I was only going to have in California for a month. Buyer responsible for registration and smog fees, if applicable.

Here's a couple of pictures - got about a dozen more available at http://darkuncle.net/darkmobile/

darkuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 07:42 PM   #2
darkuncle

(more interior shots going up in a few minutes; the last ones I took were blurry, so I'm re-taking shots of the stereo, momo knob and wheel, and seats.)
Old 10-16-2004, 08:54 PM   #3
Canaduh
Full Access Member

Send a message via MSN to Canaduh
*drools* beautiful color for that car. Good luck with the sale.

Old 10-16-2004, 09:10 PM   #4
darkuncle

thanks; I wish I had gotten my rear in gear about a month ago so I wouldn't have to rush around so much at the last minute. *sigh* Eternal procrastinator ...
Old 10-17-2004, 05:25 PM   #5
Canaduh
Full Access Member

Send a message via MSN to Canaduh
i can't stop looking at the damn car. It's so shiny. :P If you were selling this in 6 more months, i would buy it for sure. ill ask some friends, even though im in canada, i think one of my friends is loking for an FC ill check.

Old 10-17-2004, 05:55 PM   #6

black rocket
Full Access Member

Where did you get your paint job and how much of BODY WORK were done to it?

Old 10-17-2004, 08:08 PM   #7
darkuncle

Default paint/body
thanks Paint & body cost me about 2K last winter. Most of the body work went into cleaning up some dents on the passenger door, and if I'd had time and another $500, I would have had it color sanded, and it _really_ would have been show quality then. It looks pretty shiny right now - being black, it shows dirt pretty quickly, of course, so I clean it more often than I ever did with any of my other cars.

If I can't get a buyer lined up before the first of the month, I'm taking it with me to Missouri. I'm still looking to sell it though, so if somebody wants to get it, but can't get it now, hit me up again in a few months when you've got the cash. I won't be as conveniently located, of course, but it's a nice road trip from Missouri to California. Did that last spring ...
Old 10-17-2004, 08:14 PM   #8
darkuncle

as to _where_ i got paint & body ... I'm a little embarrassed to say I don't know, exactly. I dropped my car off at RotaryShack.com in Chatsworth (Robert Lives runs that shop; he's a _wizard_ with rotaries and did most of the work on my car) to get a whole bunch of stuff done, and picked it up a month later with the new paint/body, rims/tires and some misc. other stuff done.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:36 PM   #9

black rocket
Full Access Member

I emailed your car to a friend of mine who is looking for one... and as to paint job...I was curious because my rex is duly deserve for an ultimate paint job! I was quoted $4K guaranteed show quality and I'm just shopping around

Old 10-18-2004, 10:34 PM   #10
darkuncle

4K should definitely get you show quality - you should be able to get an excellent paint job for 2K, and if you have them color sand it afterwards (additional $500 maybe) it will look like a mirror!