Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 1st Generation

1st Generation 1979-1985 Discussion

Old 10-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
wanko1

Default carb issues
i have an 83 rx7 i rebuilt the carb the car idles with the choke on as soon as you go to drive it it stalls and then starts right back up and idles fine but it won't go once u start driving any ideas please help
Barry
wanko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:45 AM   #2
SteveZ

Send a message via MSN to SteveZ
My guess it that the carb needs to be rebuilt, happens lots at this age, the cars are all over 20yrs old with a carb, so I would start there. if it runs fine anytime else, I';m sure thats your problem.

oops, saw that you rebuilt the carb already, possible a fuel delivery issue? maybe a plugged fuel filter or a weak fuel pump?

Last edited by SteveZ; 02-17-2009 at 04:07 AM.
SteveZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
km4hr

Sounds like a problem with the accelerator pump. This is a pump inside the carburetor that shoots extra gas into the air stream when you step on the gas pedal. You can see this in action. Take off the air cleaner and look down into the two primary venturi's (smaller of the 4 "barrels"). When you step on the gas you should see a squirt of gas into each venturi. If not then the accelerator pump isn't working. First check the linkages on the carburetor to see if the accelerator pump plunger is connected. There may be some adjustments on the linkage. Make sure the plunger is being pushed when you step on the gas. You should know where the plunger is if you rebuilt the carburetor yourself. If not look at a carburetor parts diagram that came with the rebuild kit. If the linkage is ok then something's wrong inside the carburetor. Are you sure you got all the little "BB's" in the right holes when you re-assembled the carburetor? The "BB's" (my terminology) are little steel balls at various locations in the carburetor. They fit in little holes and allow gas to flow in one direction. They block flow in the the other direction. If one of these is missing or stuck then the acclerator pump might not work right. It's been a long time since I rebuilt one of these. I can't remember the details of where to look for the problem inside the carburetor.
km4hr is offline   Reply With Quote