Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 3rd Generation

3rd Generation 1993-Current Discussion

Old 02-27-2005, 04:14 AM   #1
dRuNk-mEdIc
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to dRuNk-mEdIc
Default The Truth about RX7 and how reliable
Im tired of people asking about RX7 and how unreliable they are so heres what you want.

-They are reliable, owners and some mechanics are not reliable.
If you do not take proper care of your car, who is to blame?

-Poor gas mileage

-Rebuilding requires pulling the engine out, It costs all lot of money to rebuild if your wallet isn't that fat.

-They seem to be reliable N/A or lightly boosted, but once you start getting power hungry (350 rwhp+ on a 13b)be prepared for an occasional rebuild imo. Tuning is key, but there are very few I would trust. When a seal does let loose it can damage the housings and turbo as well.

-Rotaries are extremely loud with a free flowing exhaust, which can be good or bad depending on what you like.

-Powerbands are peaky, low torque, like a honda or other small displacement 4 banger, again whatever floats your boat.

-Besides what was already listed, they burn oil (about 1qt per 1,000 miles), not very emissions friendly, they run hot (especially the exhaust), they don't take over-heating or detonation as well as piston engines, it is difficult to find a good mechanic, higher-output rotary engines do not have as much low-rpm torque as their piston counterparts, and you can't dress them up with cool chrome valve covers.

-On the good side, rotary engines have a small cross-section, low vibration, good hp-displacement ratio, light weight when compared to other iron block engines, are easily compatible with alternate fuels, have few moving parts, no valvetrain to deal with, lots of aftermarket parts available, are included in many race classes, and the power band makes them a lot of fun to drive.

-As for the reliability issue, keep in mind that Mazda rotary engines dominated endurance racing until the rules were modified to lower the power levels of the rotary engines. Even so, you will still see rotary engines winning endurance races even today. An average street-legal rotary engine lasts about 100,000 to 150,000 miles before the seals (similar to piston rings) need to be replaced. While the seals are rather expensive, there are no camshafts, lifters, valves, or timing chains to replace... ever! The eccentric shaft (similar to a crankshaft) bearings rarely need replacing because there is so little lateral load on them, as opposed to the heavy lateral load of a piston engine.

-The moral is if you take car of it, It will take care of you .

You can put 20 grand into your honda and its still a honda.

My RX7.....well its an RX7.
dRuNk-mEdIc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
jic

i love the 2nd part of your sig
jic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
Canaduh
Full Access Member

Send a message via MSN to Canaduh
Very nice write-up! Was thinking of making one, but i could never sticky it so i didn't, i hope soemone stickies this one though!

Old 05-14-2005, 04:17 AM   #4
shaun1005

Send a message via AIM to shaun1005
u said 350rwhp before problems.........huge newbie question here but what kind of reliability as far as milage wise do you see with cars with single turbo upgrades????????thanks
shaun1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 08:05 PM   #5
10secfd3s

Send a message via AIM to 10secfd3s
Default Reliability/Gas mileage on single turbo...
It depends. If your engine/turbo wasnt properly broken in, you can have MAJOR problems very often. If you take care of your car ( maintain fluids, NEVER boost before its at normal op temp) your single turbo car can go 80+k without any trouble. 11k on my 13b pineapple racing did for me and not ONE issue yet.
10secfd3s is offline   Reply With Quote