Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 3rd Generation

3rd Generation 1993-Current Discussion

Old 11-18-2004, 05:26 AM   #1
btm7687

Default Really annoying me about what a friend said about rebuild...
So this kid at my school has an FD. He thought he would be cool and show off to his friends on the highway and boost 24psi on crappy pump gas. Needless to say, this isn't the first time he has beat the car. It ended (or started) with him now doing an engine rebuild. This really annoying kid I go to school with who thinks he knows everything possible about cars because his dad owns a very small shop way out somewhere claims that the RX-7 owner is rebuilding his engine with carbon fiber rotors. Now, I laughed because I did not think this was ever going to be possible. I didn't think carbon fiber would have the heat threshold for something like that. Well today I was talking to my friend about this certain idiot (the one bragging about the car that's not his, dad has the shop) and about how annoying he is. We frequently talk about cars so I mentioned this to him and he (who I actually believe has a someone vast knowledge about cars from what we have talked about before) says, "No dude, he really is getting his engine rebuilt with carbon fiber rotors. I was there when he ordered them." I being skeptical still don't believe him really, but this is really annoying me. Is this possible? Do they exist? If so, who makes them? I asked him who made them and where he ordered them, but he said he didn't know. What's going on?

Sorry this is so long, also sorry to clutter your threads with newbie posts, but I figure there is no better place to post about rotaries than here.

Bryan M.

Old 11-18-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to AusTexRex
I've never heard of them ever before. But here are a few things to think about and this should do a fair amount of shutting up for retarded kid in question:

Ask him how they treated wet carbon fiber to hold past 1000 degrees celsius. Our engines burn hot hot hot. I don't see it ever being possible.

Second, if they are truly made out of carbon fiber, his car will now be entirely worthless for the street. His rotating assembly will be insanely light causing him to rev to high numbers just to get moving.

The lightweight means they have higher compression which means... his car would only be good for racing.

Where is his "carbon fiber" clutch to go along with it, considering the entire assembly is balanced and he would shake his engine completely apart.

Kick him in the balls for blowing up his engine.
AusTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 04:13 AM   #3

black rocket
Full Access Member

Tell that kid there is no such thing as carbon fiber rotor!

Slightly off topic but, next time my clutch "malfunctions" I want to try them carbon fiber clutch!

Old 01-26-2005, 03:57 PM   #4
Black Mantis

Wow....its sad when you hear about how stupid people can be. The kid said "carbonfiber rotors". I think I just lost a few brain cells.

btm7687, if I were you, I would have just smacked this kid for saying that. Ask him if the rotary engine he is getting has 24 or 36 valves. Hearing how dumb this kid sounds, he would probably pick either one making him look really dumb.
Black Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:22 PM   #5

black rocket
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Black Mantis
Wow....its sad when you hear about how stupid people can be. The kid said "carbonfiber rotors". I think I just lost a few brain cells.

btm7687, if I were you, I would have just smacked this kid for saying that. Ask him if the rotary engine he is getting has 24 or 36 valves. Hearing how dumb this kid sounds, he would probably pick either one making him look really dumb.
LOL

Old 01-31-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
willjs7

Send a message via AIM to willjs7
i wanna get me some carbon fiber rotors, maybe some anodized red ones with neons on them

Old 01-31-2005, 08:22 PM   #7

black rocket
Full Access Member

Yeah...I've got a set! Wanna buy one?

Old 08-30-2005, 11:40 PM   #8
Timdog1650

They do make carbon brake rotors...maybe there was some mass confusion on the issue. The idea that hand laid or mechanically laid fibrous material could be accurately balanced to 8k rpm, let alone 500 rpm is ridiculous...