Rx7 Forum and Owners Club

Rx7 Forum and Owners Club (http://www.rx7forums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2nd Generation (http://www.rx7forums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   In pretty deep with my GTUS (http://www.rx7forums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237)

Jedah 08-26-2004 10:56 PM

In pretty deep with my GTUS

I bought an '89 GTUS within the past 4 months and it's been nothing but trouble. I am a rotary newbie so any problem I encounter is slightly difficult, but have been able to fix what it's thrown at me until now.

When I try to accelerate, the engine noise raises, but the power output does not. It seems to barely, and I mean barely, accelerate whatsoever but has been making far more engine noise than what it ever has while in my care. The noises that I am hearing only happen when I try to accelerate and they sound like air being sucked in or spit out, but it isn't my intake that's causing it. The engine seems to be working itself to death and sounds miserable. The engine will not rev past 7000RPM and I can hardly hit 70MPH. Neither of these problems have occured before today. Before it ran out very well and I could usually hit 130 or 135MPH as a top speed. Now it is severely weakened and I could barely keep up with traffic coming home from class. For god's sake, anyone, can you help me?

If I need to come back and explain things a little better I will, I'm just flustered as hell and can't think straight.

black rocket 08-27-2004 03:49 PM

Sounds to me like vaccume leak. Engine is running rough... no power...yeah, probably a vaccume leak somewhere.

Do you have cat? It may be plugged, also. Resulting in poor performance.

AutoXFC3S 09-07-2004 11:00 PM

bump

BlackKnightFD 09-24-2004 09:49 PM

like previously stated it could be a vac leak.. but also how is your clutch? it might be slipping. i had the same problem in my GTUs and it was linked to the clutch. after it was replaced no more problems.

Jinx 09-24-2004 10:51 PM

Sounds like a clogged converter.
I also had an injector plug pop off on me, it took me forever to find it, cause it "Looked" plugged in.

AusTexRex 09-27-2004 01:32 AM

Pop the bell housing access panel and look at your clutch. It's probably a contributing factor to this, if not the entire problem. Won't rev past 7k? Sounds like an airflow problem, maybe your throttle cable isn't tight enough, maybe your cat is clogged, maybe you're leaking like a 2 month old baby. Check em.

Jinx 09-29-2004 11:22 PM

I was just re-reading this, and I'm with AusTexRex. Maybe you have a clogged cat and a busted clutch.

Canaduh 09-30-2004 12:57 AM

Does it start to hesitate really bad around 3800RPM? and then choke from there on? If it does its your ECU. Also, don't take it to a dealer just ye, he will replace the whole ECU and will cost lots, then if you just re-solder the ECU joints and re-ground. :D Hope that helped.

Oh and im new here, hi everyone.

AusTexRex 09-30-2004 02:53 AM

Welcome maple leaf.

Canaduh 09-30-2004 07:13 PM

Thanks tex.