Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 3rd Generation

3rd Generation 1993-Current Discussion

Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
bonesy

Default Buying my first RX7,some guidance would be appreciated!
As the post states im going to buy a rx7 but...

Coming from a 323ti bmw what model should i get?
i am in the uk so think i will import from japland as its cheaper,plus the uk models are classed as a 2600cc not a 1300cc like jap imports are...
What do i look out for? Is there any tell-tale signs that the wankel engine is dieing?bodywork im not bothered about as i work at a body repair shop,but i dont want to have to pay an extra £2500 for an engine when im spending £5000 on the car!!
Finally i have been told not to run the rotary engine on any fuel less than 98 octane?what do you run yours on??
Many thanks in advance
bonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
toddah

Well if you are going to import then you should find someone on the far end who can be trusted that knows rotary's to do an inspection of the car.
Compression tests are a good indicator of internal seal and wear surface condition.
Turbocharger condition is a real factor and driving the car to see the boost patterns and levels are a real test of condition.
Oil leaks are another issue as pan leaks can be a real pain in the A$$ as they are costly in time or money (to have someone else repair)

After you drive the car you would not want to put anything less than the highest octane rating you can find because you will notice a HUGE difference in horsepower and torque with the lower octane fuels.
toddah is offline   Reply With Quote