Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 08-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
rudy16

Exclamation help please!
soo, i have a 88 "SE" non-turbo, everything is right, it just wont start. the problem is is that it wont start because there's way to much fuel going to the engine. both bottom and top regulators r new. wat the told me is that, the engine has a "vacuum" and that it regulates the the top regulator. i check'd the little hose that is connected to the top regulator, and there was no suction at all. soo i was wondering, wat is it that i need to fix in order to have the "vacuum" working? please help.
rudy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
LunchboxCritter

"They" who told you that your car has regulators should not be working on your car. All cars have vacuum created from the air being pulled into the moving engine through the intake manifold. If you are talking about the solenoid valves, then you should refer to the FSM (factory service manual) to determine the proper way to trouble shoot each one.

I would be willing to bet that your car is simply flooded. Search for deflooding procedures, and replace the spark plugs. After getting it running again a proper compression check would be a good idea. Also it is good practice that when you start your car you allow it to reach operating temp before shutting it down. Rotaries are not friendly to moving around in a driveway, they want go around the block.

Last edited by LunchboxCritter; 09-03-2011 at 03:50 PM.
LunchboxCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
psaund9860

Default Flooded
Yup

Most likely a flooding problem. My 90 RX-7 does it every once in a while. Pretty simple solution if you haven't over flooded it.
psaund9860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
rudy16

ohhhhhhhh, okay i see, what u said make much much more sense now, Thank you!
Old 09-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
Dozer

Send a message via AIM to Dozer
i had an 87 that did the same thing, usually was caused by starting and not letting it warm up before i turned it off. I have an 89 now so i dont have that problem anymore.

If it keeps happening though this is what you'll wanna do.
1. pop the hood
2. Pull EGR fuse
3. try starting while flooring it for at least 30-40 sec's
4. Replace fuse, should start right up

Good luck
Dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
LunchboxCritter

Originally Posted by Dozer View Post
i had an 87 that did the same thing, usually was caused by starting and not letting it warm up before i turned it off. I have an 89 now so i dont have that problem anymore.

If it keeps happening though this is what you'll wanna do.
1. pop the hood
2. Pull EGR fuse
3. try starting while flooring it for at least 30-40 sec's
4. Replace fuse, should start right up

Good luck
Yes your 89 can flood also. Even the Rx8's suffer from this phenomena. Your 89 model car is equipped with fuel cut when you floor the gas pedal. There is no need to pull the egi fuse to deflood it. Hold the pedal to the floor, crank for 10 seconds, pause for 10 seconds, repeat 10 times, then start normally.

In the 86-88 models they did not feature this option. Pulling the EGI fuse, remove the plugs, and pumping oil or atm into the rotor housings is sometimes required.

Frequent flooding as you experienced in your 87 model is a possible symptom of low compression in one or both housings.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
rudy16

ohhh okay okay...... wat would be a good oil to use? i know they told me that because of the flooding, the seals got "wet." i'v been told to put oil through the plug holes but, i dont know wat oil to use..... should i use the oil the engine already has or dose it need a specific oil for compression?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
LunchboxCritter

You might try pulling all of the spark plugs, remove the EGI fuse, and turn it over first. Roll or pull starting it may also be an option.

If that does not blow enough of the gas out to get it to start just put regular motor oil in the plug holes (A teaspoon amount of ATF can also be used - I have read not tried this method). You'll need to replace your spark plugs after getting it restarted after using oil or ATF (automatic transmission fluid).