Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 09-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #11

black rocket
Full Access Member

Another fact you'll need put into consideration is n/a needs certain amount of backpressure unlike forced induction. Also, bear in mind that porting n/a does not produce worthy of expenses you'll need to put into it.

Be sure to weigh your options before you start the mod project as they aren't cheap by any means. Trust me on this. It's like an addiction once you start on rotary

Old 09-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
1stGenNa4Now

Send a message via Yahoo to 1stGenNa4Now
Originally Posted by black rocket View Post
Another fact you'll need put into consideration is n/a needs certain amount of backpressure unlike forced induction. Also, bear in mind that porting n/a does not produce worthy of expenses you'll need to put into it.

Be sure to weigh your options before you start the mod project as they aren't cheap by any means. Trust me on this. It's like an addiction once you start on rotary
I strongly disagree with black rocket on this one. Maybe he is a little biased. Is a money game yes, but that doesnt necessarily mean that you'll have to spend alot more to beat turbo guys or that it wont be worth the expense. As I am about to prove to a couple of fd drivers in my area. You must do your homework and know what you are doing. Tunning is key. Once you have the power is all about science and math to get the times you want.
1stGenNa4Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #13

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Power to weight is a strong factor when speaking in performance terms. I don't recall Rocket saying anything about Turbo beating NA, but I will! In the real world two motors of the same, one turbo & one NA is the question you bring. Lets start here for a NA to be competitive with a turbo car there will be sacrifices that are not exceptable in a street car. To get the NA around the power levels of a lighly modded Turbo, will involve porting, lots of fuel, on point tuning, weight savings. Put the same money & work used towards the NA into the turbo & not a chance. Not that you can't make a NA rotary quick, but in the quest the car gets extremely loud & reliablity is in question. What I think he meant was that by porting the motor there will be additional cost as in intake, exhaust, fuel & tune for things to be effective. Now back to my above statement Turbo 13b trumps NA 13b look at the recorded times they speak the truth.
BoostedFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #14

black rocket
Full Access Member

Thank you, BoostedFC! I take it for granted for not bringing up something obvious to me and glad you explained more in details.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #15
1stGenNa4Now

Originally Posted by BoostedFC View Post
Power to weight is a strong factor when speaking in performance terms. I don't recall Rocket saying anything about Turbo beating NA, but I will! In the real world two motors of the same, one turbo & one NA is the question you bring. Lets start here for a NA to be competitive with a turbo car there will be sacrifices that are not exceptable in a street car. To get the NA around the power levels of a lighly modded Turbo, will involve porting, lots of fuel, on point tuning, weight savings. Put the same money & work used towards the NA into the turbo & not a chance. Not that you can't make a NA rotary quick, but in the quest the car gets extremely loud & reliablity is in question. What I think he meant was that by porting the motor there will be additional cost as in intake, exhaust, fuel & tune for things to be effective. Now back to my above statement Turbo 13b trumps NA 13b look at the recorded times they speak the truth.
Here we go. The keyboard tough guy. I was not even talking to you but all the same to me. My point was that is a money game. That for what the original post was that he could make good power staying n/a and maybe even spend less than doing a turbo swap and yes still be faster. Not everyone can make a reliable, daily driven 12second n/a two rotor. Thats why it should be left to the experts, but it can and has been done! There are 6 second 1/8 mile n/a cars just like there are 6 second 1/8 mile turbo cars. Yeah the worlds fastest is a turbo nitrous 7 second 1/4 mile car which I doubt any of ya'll can compete with but that was not the point. 13 b trumps what? Who said I was even talking about 13b. I speak the truth I dont need my internet buddies to back up what I say. You can make an n/a car beat a turbo car and vice versa. The money you saved on cooling your turbo set up use to quiet down your monster port n/a street set up!! I know I know you are going to come back with another reponse with your two cents even though I was not talking to you.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #16

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

I hope you are kidding really! "Keyboard tough Guy" Ha ha you are a funny guy. You don't seem to be reading the post through. Rocket never said anything about beating the NA & I never said you couldn't make a NA make power. I don't know if you are aware that you are on a forum or not, but when you make post expect others to respond. Nobody has said anything negative, just have gave info. Like I said above, getting the NA to the point of Turbo will in turn will be added work. You say Rocket was biased, well I'm not because I currently own two NA's, one turbo & one supercharged rotary. So I will be the first to be honest & say my NA's are quick but not as fast as my boosted applications. You may spend money reducing noise from your monster port, but you will be sacrificing power in the end. BTW the life of a monster port engine is not very long. This was supposed to be a decent no drama forum thanks for changing that. I meant 13bt trumps 13b. By the way I have been in the car game from some time from big block V8's to 4cyl under my belt, boosted, NA, FWD, RWD & AWD I don't claim to know everything, but I can be helpful.

Last edited by BoostedFC; 09-23-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #17

black rocket
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by 1stGenNa4Now View Post
I strongly disagree with black rocket on this one. Maybe he is a little biased. Is a money game yes, but that doesnt necessarily mean that you'll have to spend alot more to beat turbo guys or that it wont be worth the expense. As I am about to prove to a couple of fd drivers in my area. You must do your homework and know what you are doing. Tunning is key. Once you have the power is all about science and math to get the times you want.
Tuning is the key, of course. That goes for all combustion engines. I have Haltech to fine tune my ride. BDC does awesome tuning.

If you would have specified what you really wanted I know a guy in Australia whips out 700bhp out of his 12A

I believe the original question was how to get more power and the answer is who knows... you can also install alky sprits system to modify the detonation point in order to get more out of it. Better yet, you can also go with oxygen intake.

I didn't ask whether the ride will be DB or track car and level of experience, which clearly stated that thread starter is new to rotary and I was compelled to my response to be easily understood.

If you want a single race engine, by all means go for it!

I also do not believe in cutting corners to save a buck, thus, I only go with quality parts (not necessarily expensive) from wiring I selected (Presto Lite, dual insulated tin dipped copper wire), Hosetech vac lines, HKS mani, Bosch sensors, VDO gauges, Marren fuel dampner, hard plumbing using Aeroquip, MSD plug wires... and the list goes on...

I also would like to point out the fact that zero tolerance when it comes to bashing. If anyone interested or have strong desire to do so, please enjoy at other forums as I have no problem banning assholes, which I have on several occasions.

So, let's be civil and enjoy what we all are here for, rotorheads!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #18
1stGenNa4Now

Originally Posted by black rocket View Post
Tuning is the key, of course. That goes for all combustion engines. I have Haltech to fine tune my ride. BDC does awesome tuning.

If you would have specified what you really wanted I know a guy in Australia whips out 700bhp out of his 12A

I believe the original question was how to get more power and the answer is who knows... you can also install alky sprits system to modify the detonation point in order to get more out of it. Better yet, you can also go with oxygen intake.

I didn't ask whether the ride will be DB or track car and level of experience, which clearly stated that thread starter is new to rotary and I was compelled to my response to be easily understood.

But, mind you that I, also started my car fancies long before you were born and my cars were always reliable in spite of performance mod, because I believe in reliability when I do my mod.

If you want a single race engine, by all means go for it!

Have a nice day, 1stGenNa4Now, and I mean it!
Thanks Rocket! I dont care what them girls say about ya, you're ok in my book
Old 09-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #19

black rocket
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by 1stGenNa4Now View Post
Thanks Rocket! I dont care what them girls say about ya, you're ok in my book
LOL! Although some of the things might be right... but I really want this site to be the friendly one that no member should be AFRAID to ask questions that are common to us.

When I first got my FC I had no idea how in the heck I was supposed to access plugs... :/

Old 09-23-2010, 11:34 PM   #20

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

1stgenNA we got off to an interesting start my friend, I must say. From one car guy to another it's all gravy.

Rocket hey man I was the guy when I got my first rotary looked for the damn oil filter underneath the car back in 95. We have all came along way & for new guys it's definately better to ask then not know.

Tags
1989, gxl, rx7, turbo