Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 09-25-2010, 04:25 AM   #1
Kfunk1989

Unhappy Overheating problems, new to rotary.
This is my first experience with rotaries. I recently purchased an 86 RX7 from a guy who had been fiddling with it for the last few years, where it had been sitting in his shed. It has an overheating problem, and after getting the coolant flushed and thermostat replaced, it overheats even faster than when I bought it. After letting it idle for around 5 to 10 minutes, I drove it around the block and when I got back home, the temp gauge was at the top and I could hear a slight bubbling in the engine, and some coolant had backed up into the overflow resivour. Im thinking that I might need to replace the radiator, the water pump, or both. Any suggestions? Should I take these steps, or is my engine totally shot?

Thanks.
Kfunk1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #2

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Is there white smoke out the exhaust? Overheating a rotary is a bad thing, have you noticed any leaks? Possible blown coolant seal, any oil looking film in the coolant? have you checked your oil to see if coolant is in there?
BoostedFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:53 AM   #3
1stGenNa4Now

Send a message via Yahoo to 1stGenNa4Now
Originally Posted by Kfunk1989 View Post
This is my first experience with rotaries. I recently purchased an 86 RX7 from a guy who had been fiddling with it for the last few years, where it had been sitting in his shed. It has an overheating problem, and after getting the coolant flushed and thermostat replaced, it overheats even faster than when I bought it. After letting it idle for around 5 to 10 minutes, I drove it around the block and when I got back home, the temp gauge was at the top and I could hear a slight bubbling in the engine, and some coolant had backed up into the overflow resivour. Im thinking that I might need to replace the radiator, the water pump, or both. Any suggestions? Should I take these steps, or is my engine totally shot?

Thanks.
What are or where your plans when purchasing the rx7? Sounds like now its going to be an expensive rebuild. I thought it was going to be cheaper than other cars but at the end if you want things to be done right you have to replace more than you absolutely have to. Even if you just want a lightly modified, cruising with the old lady car that you wont have to worry about(aside maintenance and a little tlc) for miles to come.
1stGenNa4Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:17 AM   #4

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

If a rebuild is needed, while it's down he can upgrade the seals, do some porting & have a fresh motor at the end of it all. The rebuild won't be cheap, hopefully it would be within his budget.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
Kfunk1989

Originally Posted by BoostedFC View Post
Is there white smoke out the exhaust? Overheating a rotary is a bad thing, have you noticed any leaks? Possible blown coolant seal, any oil looking film in the coolant? have you checked your oil to see if coolant is in there?

I haven't noticed any white smoke, (its pretty obvious isn't it?) haven't seen any leaks, the coolant seemed really diluted and kinda gunky, but it has been sitting for a few years in a shed. The oil looked pretty clean, although old, and I had the coolant flushed and the oil changed. Would any leaks be obvious as well?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
Kfunk1989

Originally Posted by 1stGenNa4Now View Post
What are or where your plans when purchasing the rx7? Sounds like now its going to be an expensive rebuild. I thought it was going to be cheaper than other cars but at the end if you want things to be done right you have to replace more than you absolutely have to. Even if you just want a lightly modified, cruising with the old lady car that you wont have to worry about(aside maintenance and a little tlc) for miles to come.
I bought the car from a guy who had been working on it for a few years, trying to get it running again. I got it for a steal because his family was moving and they couldn't aford it any more. I went into it knowing it was a project car/money pit, and I was actually surprised at how well it ran! I'm currently driving a 92 Subaru Legacy, wagon, and am trying to get into something a little more sporty. :P
Old 10-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #7

black rocket
Full Access Member

What you have is air bubbles in your cooling system causing overheating. Just do the burping process.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:01 AM   #8
Kfunk1989

Got a call from the shop today. Turns out the fan clutch was totally shot, but I wont be able to pick it up until Tuesday to test it out. Heres hoping!:P
Old 10-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #9

black rocket
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Kfunk1989 View Post
Got a call from the shop today. Turns out the fan clutch was totally shot, but I wont be able to pick it up until Tuesday to test it out. Heres hoping!:P
Fan clutch... guess I didn't /forgot about that :/ thanx to E fan. Glad to hear your overheating mystery is solved!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
Kfunk1989

Originally Posted by black rocket View Post
Fan clutch... guess I didn't /forgot about that :/ thanx to E fan. Glad to hear your overheating mystery is solved!
Thanks!! Hopefully that was the only factor..

Tags
1986, overheating, rx7