Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Members Area > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself here. Let eveyone know where you're from.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
Arthur

Default New Member From Austin
Hi everyone, my name is Arthur as the username may suggest, I'm from Austin, Texas. I've been more of a "reader" on the RX-7 Club forum since I registered here but I've decided to start posting and helping other people out in subjects I feel knowledgeable about. This is a long post so don't bore yourself and read it all at once!

I just sold my 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi but I've been in the search for a FD3S RX-7 for what seems like years. In fact I'm currently two states away from home for 1 reason, well two but only one matters, looking for an RX-7! It seems near impossible to find a stock twin turbo but I know my day will come like any other. I've always been a huge fan of the rotory motor layout and though I loved the H-4 layout in my Subaru, I want to try something new. I have big plans for whatever becomes my future car such as complete restoration, minor modifications to motor, etc.

I was a heavy poster on the NASIOC forum and loved to organize meet and greets/cruises in the Austin area so know that I will here too once I find my dream car. I'm still quite young but don't make any assumptions until you meet me in person! Looking forward to meeting all of you and hopefully someone has the car of my dreams lying around (I have cash in hand from my Subaru, throw me some cars!). I already found one I'm pretty settled on, I'm just not a huge fan of the fact that it has already been converted to a single T04Z. I'll post some pictures below!

I also wanted to share my stories at Driveway Austin, a local track close to the Austin Airport. I started driving there when I turned 16 and bought my first sports car, I knew I wanted to distance myself from all the other guys getting their license and then driving their cars like a**holes on the road and rear ending every last car on the planet.

The first course I took was a Teen Driving School which in my opinion was more of a high performance driving class but if that is what they call it then great. Throughout the course of the day, I learned about my car in particular, maintaining driver focus, distraction avoidance, the driving line (entry, apex, exit), the trajectory and rotation, looking ahead, steering techniques, throttle and braking techniques, weight transfer, skid avoidance, emergency stops, accident avoidance, over reaction avoidance, reverse driving, parallel parking and the happy spot.

The way Driveway Austin works is the track is split into 3 major configurations, the L1 configuration, the L2 configuration and the L3 configuration. The entire track features famous corners and straights from all the tracks around the world, the famous "Monaco" corner, the corkscrew from Laguna, etc. You take the courses and between each course you take 6-10 sessions to master that section of the course and then move on to the next configuration.

Now most would say, ok good for you but I know all of that and I won't learn anything. Within the next month, off I went into their racing classes. Level 1, Foundations of Road Racing. This course covers the core dynamic elements of high performance driving. The modules of the course are strategically progressive throughout the day to make sure nothing is missed. Over 70% of the course is done “on track” so each driver experiences every technique first hand, behind the wheel. This course costs a mere $395.00 for a full day of non stop educational training & fun. I then mastered the course in 7 sessions and was ready for L2.

Now for L2, Elevation Techniques. This course covers the advanced driving elements of extreme elevation changes. Armed with a mastery of weight transfer techniques and control from the L1 course, L2 turns up the volume by adding the “Z” axis to your tool set. The modules of the course are once again strategically progressive throughout the day to make sure nothing is missed. The day is broken into two sections covering “Off-Camber” and “Blind Corner” techniques then going to “Extreme Elevation” and “Lateral Stabilization”. Over 70% of the course is done “on track” so each driver experiences every technique first hand, behind the wheel.

That is my current progress, I have my L2 certificate + 3 sessions. Driveway Austin is for everyone, whether you want to go into pro racing and acquire your SCCA/NASA Pro Racing License (which is possible through Driveway Austin) or just get some track time and learn to drive your car, its all available. Every class is taught by professional racing instructors most of which are racing full time when they aren't instructing.

Track Maps Below

L1

L2

L3

Keep in mind MANY other classes are available as well as race cars available for rent if you would prefer not to use your car. At the moment it gets to be hot over there but it'll cool down eventually.

Check them out!

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - 5Zigen Catback Exhaust | 5Zigen Downpipe | AVO Cold Air Intake | Accessport Stage 2 Tune - SOLD

Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:46 AM   #2

Shaggy
Administrator

Nice intro thread and nice car! Welcome to the forums!

Old 09-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #3

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Welcome to the forums.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:06 AM   #4
Arthur

Thank you, nice to meet both of yall.

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - 5Zigen Catback Exhaust | 5Zigen Downpipe | AVO Cold Air Intake | Accessport Stage 2 Tune - SOLD

Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #5

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Yep hopefully we can get this site on the up & up.