Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 05-06-2004, 05:37 AM   #11
damnitsfrancis
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to damnitsfrancis Send a message via MSN to damnitsfrancis
since im totally new to cars this is a great post, im sure im gona spend hours reading it and not understanding a thing and asking the same questions again because im a noob lol jp

great post though, im gona use a lot of this when im lookin for my fc :]

actually what do u think is better? should i get a messed up fc that is basically ok except it needs a engine overhaul or should i just get a fc thats already in good condition? im thinking if i can find a fc that needs a engine overhaul for under 1k and then get the new engine for around 2k right? should that include the fees to install? since i live in the city i dont have a house which means no garage so i guess i have to go to professionals to do any work if i get a car. so yeah, im rambling on. to put it short what should i look for when i'm gona get my car, im hope i can start looking around the end of august because that is when i should get my license(i hope!) lol
damnitsfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:51 AM   #12

Shaggy
Administrator

Hey Francis, do not be scared to ask questions. These guys know what they are talking about and don't mind answering them for you..

Old 05-06-2004, 08:19 PM   #13
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to AusTexRex
Originally Posted by damnitsfrancis
since im totally new to cars this is a great post, im sure im gona spend hours reading it and not understanding a thing and asking the same questions again because im a noob lol jp

great post though, im gona use a lot of this when im lookin for my fc :]

actually what do u think is better? should i get a messed up fc that is basically ok except it needs a engine overhaul or should i just get a fc thats already in good condition? im thinking if i can find a fc that needs a engine overhaul for under 1k and then get the new engine for around 2k right? should that include the fees to install? since i live in the city i dont have a house which means no garage so i guess i have to go to professionals to do any work if i get a car. so yeah, im rambling on. to put it short what should i look for when i'm gona get my car, im hope i can start looking around the end of august because that is when i should get my license(i hope!) lol
Personally if I didn't know what I was doing with an FC I'd buy one with an engine that runs already. Get it compression tested, check the coolant seals in the engine and tranny/clutch. Compression should be above 95. To check the coolant seals, pull the egi fuse and take the cap off of the upper radiator hose and turn the engine over, if a lot of coolant is coming out the seals are blown and you need a rebuild.
Buying a rolling frame and getting the engine rebuilt and dropped in can end up costing a lot more if you don't do the work yourself. Although if you live near a good rotary shop then you should go check out pricing and make the decision yourself. Since you have no garage, you can't do it yourself
AusTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:25 AM   #14
7Tim

i hope you had permission to grab that write up and post it here, anyways, to add, if you have a S4, and you havent replaced your pulsation dampener, or you dont know if the previous owner did, DO IT NOW

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.ph...hreadid=181219
dont worry im not a rat
7Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:28 AM   #15
7Tim

ok so you didnt steal everything, but still...
7Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:07 AM   #16
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to AusTexRex
I gave him the credit, and his is an assortment of other people's stuff as well. He just had pretty much everything, so why re-write?
AusTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:01 AM   #17
dwayne mifflin

sorry to bother but just a quick question .If i can pic up an 86 fc3 for 500 bucks canadian, bodys in good shape but engine most likly blown ,does it seem like good deal.

Old 07-27-2004, 06:57 PM   #18
Hollywood
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood
I had an 86 NA, gave it away to this chic garland, though she did promise me a blow job

it will cost a couple grand to make it run, right. just find one that is running
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:06 AM   #19
kanuk93gt

Send a message via AIM to kanuk93gt Send a message via MSN to kanuk93gt Send a message via Yahoo to kanuk93gt
what is typical gas mileage in an 86 se?

wanting a 2nd gen rx7
kanuk93gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:17 AM   #20

black rocket
Full Access Member

You should get pretty good gas mileage...like 17-20 in the city.