Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 05-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #61
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

I nvr changed brake pads before and i figured it out on the front right of my FC but when i tryed to left, the two pistons that push the pad into the rotor wount go in so i can fit the new brake pad, the front left i replaced fine without a problem, i bled the brakes but it still didnt help..
rx7Noobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:26 AM   #62

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Did you use a C clamp to compress the pistons?

Old 05-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #63
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

I actually used the highly sophisticated method of: Hammer+Wrench+screwdriver lol first i used the flat head screw driver stuck it in between the rotor n piston n pryed it n the piston went rite in, then for some reason i pumped the brake and the pistons went back to the rotor n when i went to pry it again the piston wouldnt budge. Im gunna try n borrow a c clamp from my woodshop class tmrw though.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #64

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

I wouldn't suggest using that method anymore, by prying it like that you could damage the rotor & you are not compressing the piston correctly. Real simple either use a flat piece of steel or the old brake pad with the C clamp to draw in the piston.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:30 AM   #65
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

Alright, ive been needing breaks for a while now in the front, one pad from both pairs from the front had little pad left then the other pad had no fiber left and was just begining to scratch the metal :X & man ive beeb day dreaming on jdm engine depot.... Just 1400$ and i could have a turbo II engine & tranny... *day dreams* lol i wish i wasnt selling my FC =\
Old 05-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #66

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

So you are selling the car, well good luck with that.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #67
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

I might, and great i figured leaving the car over night would let the pistons loose pressure from when i hit the brake but they still wount freakin budge and my woodshop teacher wouldnt give me a c clamp n now i dont even think a c clamp will evem help me
Old 05-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #68
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

Update: got a c clamp, loosend the bleeder valve and opened the brake fluid resivoir under the hood and still nothing... I cant take the caliper off either cuz before i knew what i was doing i thought i needed to take the caliper off to replace the brakes and it wouldnt come off and i stripped two of the caliper bolts.. I dont understand.. First it was jus the two right brake pistons that wouldnt go in, i pumped the brake and after the right pistons that were fine came out now they wount budge either.. If i cant do it by the end of today im just gunna try and put back the old brake pads n get it done somewhere
Old 05-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #69

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

What do you mean before you knew what you were doing & tried removing the caliper to change the pads? If you stripped the bolt heads you most likely were using the wrong size wrench/socket or you didn't have the wrench/socket completely on the bolt head.

You do need to remove the caliper to install new pads! Remove the caliper bolts, then work the caliper from the rotor. After the caliper is off the rotor use the C clamp, one side on the caliper one side on the old pad & tighten the clamp to compress the pistons. Repeat for the other side of the caliper. BTW you don't have to remove the brake line. I'm not sure if you have purchased a repair manual or not, but obviously you are a beginner so you need one when working on a car. Even if it's just a Hayne's manual.

You really need to know your limits, if you can't or don't know how to fix the issue then leave it to someone who does! At least have some around you to help that does know what to do. If you think you are saving money by doing things yourself, you would be wrong. By not knowing what you are doing you are cause more problems costing more & sometimes not doing things correctly can maybe cause injury to yourself or to someone else.

I think it may be time for you to just let someone else to work on the car.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:27 AM   #70
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

I DID IT!!! It took a looong time and a lot of patience but i did it, the right two pistons after i was about to give up just went in, using the old brake pad to put inbetween the rotor n piston and hitting that helped a looot i wouldnt have been able to do it if i didnt do that, and im a senior in high school im gunna go to UTI when i grad. The FC is basically my textbook im learning from working on, as for selling my FC after summers over its not a practical car for the snow we get here so im gunna sell it and my dads gunna give me the rest of the money to get an 02-04 WRX, but after that once i get a new job im going to save up and build a RWD drift car which will either be an S13 or MK3 turbo supra, or a Turbo II