Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 12-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
hugbombsdropbabies

Angry got a 91...getting an add coolant alarm =[

im getting this annoying ass add coolant alarm every once in a while...not so much on the highway as i am in the city on the stop and go driving. i looked and i dont have any leaks so far but she will smoke if i start it after not driving her for a couple of days. i can smell the coolant and the coolant level goes down pretty quick as well. im no wiz kid when it comes to cars, let alone rotarys but i had to have it lol. but seriously, can someone help please!?!?!?!?

hugbombsdropbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #2

black rocket
Full Access Member

There are 3 possible scenarios for coolant level sensor to go off; 1, there is air pocket in your cooling system, 2, faulty sensor, 3, actual leak.

As you mention that you do smell coolant burning tells me coolant may be leaking into oil due to faulty seal. In order to be sure ck your oil and oil cap to see if it present scummy residue on top of the oil cap and feel and smell oil to be sure.

If you smell inside the car, chances are your heater actuator would be leaking and you can ck that by peeling your carpeting on the driver side (U.S. models). Hope that won't be the case as it is a true PITA to work on.

If you don't have any symptoms listed above you may have a classic leak from T-stat neck (back of the neck) which is very hard to detect. And if that's the case replace your t-stat while you repair the leak.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:58 PM   #3

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

You may also want to check your clutch fan as well as above.